The Chamber

We were ushered into the headmaster's office, where we all crammed into the space, wondering how this was going to work. There were already too many people in such a small space. Officer Blair and Seamus were pressed up against the far wall just to make room for us.

The headmaster cleared his throat and turned towards where the giant bookcase stood behind his desk. It spanned the entire wall floor to ceiling. He pulled a book towards himself and laid his hand along the side. There was a loud click, and the bookcase slid backward and to the side.

I stared into the darkness beyond uneasily. I didn't want to say anything, but I didn't do well with dark enclosed spaces, at least not since last year. Ryder gently took my hand and whispered, "Don't worry Emma, we're all here for you, and I won't let go of your hand." I took a deep breath as we all filed into the steep stairwell, making our way down slowly in the dark. I tried to breathe slowly to calm my racing heart.

It felt like we walked forever before we got to the bottom. We stood in a small chamber with no openings, and the headmaster asked that we all wait for a moment as he gave the wall a series of knocks. After a moment of silence, the wall once again slides in and to the side, revealing a room with a huge conference table and seven people waiting for us. Officer Blair and Seamus continued in and found a seat at the table. I recognized Ms. Moana and Mr. Hershel right away, and each gave us a nod in acknowledgment.

The room was huge and looked to be carved right from bedrock with ledges carved deeply into the walls every couple of feet. Inside each carved ledge sat a big basin filled with some sort of oil that was lit, providing the room with light and heat. There were big, thick tapestries hanging between the oil lights depicting what looked like ancient war/battle scenes. One tapestry in particular caught my eye. From what I could see, there was a phonix surrounded by several people and warring individuals. I would have to make time after the meeting to study it and ask questions.

A huge man who looked a lot like Ryder stepped forward along with a petite, dark-haired woman. "I'm Bob, and this is my wife Maddie. We're your mate's grandparents. We are so happy to finally meet you," he said warmly. They each hugged me and stepped back, smiling.

"Thank you, it's nice to meet you both, too." I say quietly.

Bob turned and started introducing everyone else in the room. "Pervil is the slim man with dark red hair and a goatee sitting next to Officer Blair. He is one of my oldest friends and a brilliant scholar. He found some interesting texts that speak of a time when a phoenix would be born and change the world. We'll get into that in a bit. On his other side is Moana Mabel, who teaches advanced art classes here. Her family has been part of the chamber for centuries." We give each other a little wave. "Next to Moana is Felix. He is head of security for several big supernatural companies and also that of the chamber. Despite him looking to be in his 50s, he has been part of the Chamber since its inception." Felix was a mountain of a man. He probably stood 7 feet tall and took up a large section of the table. He had a smooth bald head that reflected the flickering light and had a hard slash of a mouth. Bob then gestured towards a small raven haired woman with a red cupids bow mouth. She looked a lot like what I always thought Snow White would look like with her fair skin and dark hair. "This is Ceilia, who is a very accomplished witch. She has helped find and reunite many families throughout the years and works tirelessly to combat the counsel. Lastly, Hank Hershel is also an advanced teacher here. He has been instrumental in making antidotes for various things the counsel has done to supernaturals and humans alike. Together, we all make up what's called the Chamber. I've filled the others in on what has been happening with Phillip, and we'd like to ask you some questions."

We all file around the huge table filling in the remaining seats.

Pervil leaned forward eagerly in his seat once we were settled and asked, "Are they all three really your mates?"

Tate, Ryder, and Nate immediately growled, causing Pervil to straighten up quickly with his hands raised. "I meant no offense. I am not judging. It's just so rare to have multiple mates. Not much is known about phoenix either. I'm sorry that came out wrong."

I can feel the tension from each of my guys, so I reach out and take a moment to touch each one. At each contact, you can visibly see them relax back into their chairs.

"Well, that answers your question, Pervil." Maddie said with a laugh. "Now Emma, you've been through a lot, and I think the more you know, the better you can prepare. We've collected everything we could find on phoenix, and our inside man with the Counsel has given us quite a bit about what they've been up to. He has never met the main people behind things, but he is close." Maddie paused and handed me a folder.

I opened it to find what they had on a phoenix. They weren't lying. There wasn't much there. One sheet of paper. It looks like phoenix are exceptionally strong, one of the fastest healers, and control fire. Dang, I thought. I was hoping to find out more and all of this I already knew. My shoulders drop in disappointment.

The headmaster cleared his throat, saying, "Emma, after the members of the Chamber talked, we all agree with Seamus' assessment that he believes you possess the gift of spirit. We believe this will be extremely useful in what is to come."

Spirit? I had never heard of that before. "What exactly can someone with the power of spirit do?"

Seamus sat forward a little, steepling his hands together, "Well, spirit as a fifth element is just as rare as you are. Spirit users can restore life and heal others nearly instantaneously. They can use compulsion as well, as you seem to have tapped into when you made Phillip leave during one of his attacks. Other powers that come with this include aura sensory, dream walking, creating illusions, telekinesis, and mind-reading."

"Cheese and rice! Do you think I can do all those things? I dont know the first thing about any of this!" I am stunned. I barely feel like a supernatural, and all this responsibility has been tossed on top of me. I feel like I'm being buried alive. I start to breathe heavily, and I'm looking around for some way to get out of there fast before I lose my shit. Oh God, I think I'm having a panic attack. I'm feeling lightheaded. I feel someone grab the back of my chair and pull it out. Then I'm scooped up into Tate's arms as he sits down in my chair. He cradles me into his chest and kisses my temple, whispering into my hair, "Just breathe, nice and slow. Just listen to my voice and just breathe with me. In. Out. In. Out. In. Out."

Once I'm calm again, he sets me on his lap facing the table, keeping his arms around me.

Moana says quietly, "I know it's a lot, but you aren't alone. We will do everything we can to help you. You'll start training with everyone here daily. We also need to talk about what we found at the site where you were held by Phillip."

At this last part, Tate's arms tightened around me, making me squeak. He immediately loosened his hold and rubbed my back, saying, "Sorry, shorty. I didn't mean to squeeze you like that."

I really didn't want to hear about what they found. I sunk back into Tate, trying to make myself smaller.

Jen coughed to get attention and said, "Do you know where that bodagett is? Has anyone tried to apprehend him? Why is this dingleberry still walking around free?!" She was wildly waving her hands in the air in agitation. Jack reached over and pulled her to him, giving her a quick kiss, which stunned her still.

Moana shook her head in frustration, "we've had several times where we should have had him and he managed to slip away. I have a mind that he has help from someone close to this. Now on to where you were being held..."