9 - The soccer game

"I hope you don't mind but I borrowed some of your bread for toast." I've barely unlocked the door to my apartment when my vision is flooded with the teary-eyed red-head. I make my way over to her and take a seat next to her on my couch. The blanket I had placed over her last night is now crumpled in her lap, plate of toast balanced in her hand.

"Borrowed?" I laugh softly, confused at how someone can borrow food.

"You know what I mean," Cady huffs, a small smile tweaking the edges of her furrowed face. I internally lighten at how her previous gloomy exterior has softened. "I'm so sorry again about yesterday," she apologises quietly, "it was very immature of me and I promise not to do it again."

"I'm glad you called me," is all I tell her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder as she continues to eat the hangover away. "You still coming to the match later?"

"I wouldn't miss it," a grin plasters over her face and I let the ball of worry that she had forgotten relax in my chest. Cady takes another bite of her plain toast, eyes widening as she finishes a mouthful. "How was the test?"

"It was good," I say modestly, leaving the matter there.

"That's it?" Red hair pours over her shoulder as her head tilts and she gives me a raised eyebrow, picking at a burnt corner of her toast.

I nod and smile.

"I'll get out of your hair," she begins to gather the small amount of belongings she had with her, slipping on her shoes. I go to say something but the words fizzle out before they can reach my mouth. "Good luck for later if I don't catch you before." She's smiling and then her arms are extending toward me and then she's hugging me. I've barely managed to process the contact and slip my arms around her when she's pulling back. "Thanks again, and see you later!"

About five minutes after Cady had left, I'm sat collecting my busy thoughts into more organised files in my forever hectic brain. Heart thudding, I pull out my phone, thumb hovering over the only contact I can think of that could help quiet my mind and put far fetched thoughts at rest.

"Janis," I speak softly down the phone, trying to keep my quavering voice at bay, "I need to speak with you it's urgent."

"Okay," I can hear her frowning from over the line, "is everything alright?"

"Mhm," I don't trust myself to speak as I think up the right things to say, "can you come over? Cady's just left."

"I'll be there in five." She says, the call beeping to an end. Sighing, I flop back against the cushions of my couch, hands scrubbing over my face as I wait with my spiralling questions.

The unlocked door is shoved open in a haste, I barely have enough time to recognise who it is when she frantically starts placing things down on the coffee table after letting the door slam shut in her wake. "Okay, I brought snacks, drinks, medicine..." Janis continues listing out different things as I sit up and let myself ease up. I raise my eyebrows in surprise at the amount of things she had brought with her. She sighs and stops, "what?"

"Thank you, but it's nothing bad." My face becomes aflame with embarrassment at how badly I had let her misinterpret the situation.

"You were scaring me!" She declares, launching the plastic grocery bag in my direction before she slumps down next to me.

"Sorry, but I'll definitely take those," I snag a bag of chips as she twists open a bottle of water.