2 - The introductions

Whispers fill the air surrounding me as I slowly start to drift back to consciousness. I blink my eyes open and stare around the room for the source of the chatter.

Flashbacks from earlier this morning come raining back. From Cady coming over, to us catching up and watching a crappy movie, to me falling asleep on the couch. Getting lost in my thoughts, I get shaken back by a voice.

"Hi," a girl with dark hair with streaks of blueish-green peers into view, a wide smile on her face. "I'm Janis, this is Damian." She's far too close for it to be considered comfortable. I quickly shuffle further into the cushions of the couch and look over at her friend sat the other side of her.

"Hey girl." Damian offers me a wave, dark blue sleeves pulled up his arm.

"How did you get in here?" Panic starts to settle over me as I frantically look around for Cady, the only person I actually remember inviting over earlier.

"Caddy let us in," Janis says casually with a shrug of her shoulders. I glance down at her hand, painted fingers curled around a plain mug with a muddy liquid inside.

I frown at her, "it's Cady," I correct.

"Oh," Janis laughs, "I know."

My head tilts up when I see a ponytail of red hair coming into view, a guilty smile on her face. "Hi, I'm so sorry but I had let slip I was coming to see you again this morning and they kind of invited themselves."

"Sorry but we were way too excited to meet you." Damian tells me, leaning forward in his seat, and drastically lowering his voice in a very unsubtle way. "Cady told us you're gay too."

I blush and shoot a glareing look at my cousin who is now in a permanent state of guilt. "You did what?" I gasp softly, looking at Cady as she settles down on the footstool opposite the small couch, bowing her head in a sort of shame.

"It's okay, Janis and I are too." Damian's hand reaches across Janis and lands on my knee softly. I stare at them both questioningly for several moments before Cady stands up and mentions about grabbing some water.

"So we only have a few days before classes start. Anything you want to do?" Damian's hand has retreated by now, resting in his own lap.

My mind ticks over a few things for several beats, trying to wrap my mind around everything since arriving here yesterday. For some reason I'm drawn back to the airport yesterday. Blue eyes and blonde hair paint a perfectly clear picture in my mind, set on distracting me from forming any other coherent thoughts. I gulp the memory of her down when I'm met with expectant eyes, dragging me back to reality. "No, not really."

"Cool, that's cool," Damian is quick to scrub the look of concern from his face at my zoned out appearance, "we can just catch you up on some North Shore lore instead."

Confusion paints over my face, complete attention now on him as I push the memories of the girl at the coffee shop to the back of my mind. "North Shore what?"

"I think what Damian is trying to say is, for us to catch you up on everything. You know that most people here went to North Shore High, right?" Janis chimes in, her makeup endearing as I trace along her colourful eyeliner. I make a mental note to ask her how she did it later as I mindlessly nod. "Well, let's just say our school was far from perfect." Her back gently hits the back of the couch, glancing to her left as Damian starts to speak.

"I would say it was far from being even slightly tolerable." His eyes narrow as he pinches his thumb and forefinger together, barely a sliver of space between.

"Anyway," Janis brings my attention back to her, "who you need to be aware of are the plastics."

"Ex-plastics." Damian corrects, a soft sigh leaving his mouth, "Janis, we've talked about this."