𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑 {ℜ𝔢𝔰𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔠𝔥}

{Research}

· · ─────── ·𖤓· ─────── · ·

"Kuro... He said." Aurora muttered to herself. "What even does 'just call me Kuro' mean?'"

After Chrollo left, the store's clerk had found the journals she had requested. It took her a little bit of cross-searching but at the end of the day, she had furthered her understanding of the city and its political structure. She managed to find a vital clue as well.

"The Underground Auction is led by the Mafia Community." Aurora said as she tried to recall the main events of her research. She started with the facts that she knew. This was one of them.

"The Mafia Community also has ties to Meteor City." Through her research and backtracking, Aurora figured out the long-established connection between Meteor City and the Mafia Community.

In addition to that, Meteor City was not far away from Yorknew City making it quite plausible for them to be reliant on another in some kind of way. With her prior knowledge of history and politics, cases, in which nations have allied with their neighbours, were not a rarity. She only assumed that this referred to the relation between Yorknew and Meteor City as well. This new information helped Aurora understand the situation much better.

"And lastly, ... the last keyword I saw with my ability: a hanging Spider's Thread." Aurora said and slammed the book to a close. She had have a hunch before, but that hunch was now slowly turning into certainty. Following this line of thought, all the clues led to one answer ...

"The Phantom Troupe is coming... But... For what reason?" Aurora asked herself and scribbled it down onto her notebook. Thusfar, considering the reputation that preceded the notorious Phantom Troupe, Aurora could only assume that they came here to do what they did best: To steal.

"Why would they decide to breach the treaty between the Mafia Community and Meteor City, now?"

Aurora put her pen down and closed that notebook of hers. She threw her head back and glanced out of the window. All this thinking and still so many questions. Wouldn't it just be quicker to ask directly?

The Phantom Troupe had been a personal goal of hers for a long time. She knew that she might never get a chance to see them in action again. This was an opportunity that she couldn't afford to miss!

How plausible was this thesis of hers? The more Aurora tried to see holes in it, the more she was assured that it was happening. Logic aside, she could feel her hunch manifest into a proper picture and a proper scene.

"Finally! It's the Spider's turn, heh?" Aurora laughed when she cleaned the table again with a spring in her steps.

"Mister♪" Aurora hummed when she returned back to the front desk with two books in hand. "I'll buy these, please."

The clerk startled in surprise at her obvious good mood. "Ah- yes, Miss!" He said and charged the books without paying much attention to them.

"Did you...uhm... Find what you were looking for?" He asked while Aurora put away the books into her bag.

Aurora's smile widened sweetly after hearing his words. "I did! You were a huge help! Thank you."

The young woman left and the store was silent again. The soft fragrance of cherries still lingered at the spot Aurora had vacated.

· · ─────── · ☾· ─────── · ·

The sun set on the horizon of Yorknew City.