Chapter 8 - Her Prime

"Hello?"

"Hello!"

Carl's senses picked up a singular and melodious voice, trying to wake him. His head felt like it had been hit by a metal and he was trying very hard not to listen to the gong-like sounds it emitted.

"Heavens, Katanya! Are you trying to wake the man deaf? We need him!"

Carl picked up another voice. This one seemed male and had hints of irritation in his tone.

"Shush! He is waking up!"

Carl opened his eyes and almost screamed. His eyes came face to face with the face of what looked like a fox. He jumped back up with a startled cry.

"Rude."

The fox to Carl's disbelief, huffed as it spoke. It had pristine white fur that would shimmer in the moonlight. Its nine tails flowed behind it like ribbons of snow, each tail imbued with mystical power and grace. Its sapphire orbs pinned the court physician where it stood.

"What do you think, Thana? Should I eat his liver?" the fox asked in a mock teasing tone.

Carl suddenly feared for his life and that of the princess. Especially for the princess who was sleeping peacefully, except for the fact that her entire body was being licked by blue flames.

"That's not funny, Kat. I am not writing up another report on one of your rendezvous activities! We are here for the girl, not the short man."

Thana responded gruffly to which the fox only huffed. For some reason, there was a strong force that repelled Carl from looking at this 'Thana'. It felt as though looking towards him was looking at death itself and the feeling left him feeling cold to his bones.

"Thana! Stop torturing the man," Katanya exclaimed and the feeling of ice gripping his bones suddenly stopped. "Keep your eyes on me, mortal. My brother is known for his crazy games. Anyway, I am Katanya, I am this one's here's prime."

Carl did as he was told and although he suspected an encounter with the girl's prime, he did not even in his wildest dreams anticipate meeting a nine-tailed fox. They were legendary creatures that were just...legends.

"But... You are a nine-tailed fox! Aren't fairies no longer governed by such high celestial spirits, Your Highness?" the middle-aged court physician asked.

Everything seemed unreal to him at the moment, including the fact that he was conversing with a four-legged animal. Or was it all an illusion?

A laugh cackled throughout the room.

"Kat! He is calling you an illusion! That's a good one!"

The dark voice that caused Carl's skin to erupt in goosebumps and not in a good way spoke again. The feeling of repulsion increased in waves. Carl thought the fox pursed its lips, it was incredibly hard to tell.

"Shut up already! Or I will stick that scythe so far up your..." Katanya threatened, without moving her lips or eyes, freaking Carl out.

"Katanya! Don't you dare finish that sentence!" Thana warned.

They were like wild siblings that always fought in whatever they did. Carl felt like an uninvited guest and urgently wanted to leave but he feared for his life. Especially when he began to recognise the names.

"Thana? As in... Death?" he asked, his voice squeaking more than ever.

"Yes and please don't faint again! He is harmless, an old softie!" Katanya responded and a sound growl emanated from somewhere in the infirmary.

Carl shook now, death had personally come for the the girl's awakening. What the hell was this? What kind of awakening is this?

"This girl is what you call a recurrence. She has been born multiple times but surprisingly with the same fate. Except in this life, that is why I am involved."

The voice that caused Carl to feel uncomfortable and sick to his stomach spoke right into his mind. It seemed death could read his thoughts and that terrified him even more. But still, what he heard was beyond interesting, a recurrence? That was another word he didn't think he would hear in his lifetime.

"We need your help in stabilizing her power before it consumes her. See, it was suppressed for a long time by the mind seal that broke and we are afraid if it's not stabilized, it will burn the kingdom down," Katanya responded, her eyes pleading with the man.

Those sapphire orbs seemed to hold secrets of the universe and Carl itched to know some of them, if not all. The nine-tailed fox was both captivating and intimidating. He reminded himself that this creature was not to be underestimated as its cunning and intelligence rivals that of any mortal.

A snort was heard and an animalistic sigh was audible.

"He is both insulting and complimenting me in his head, isn't he? Maybe we should do this ourselves," Katanya responded with another sigh.

"No! Just tell me what to do and it will be my honour to do it," Carl found himself saying.

And so the chain of events that Carl didn't think he would forget began. But before he started, he placed the charm bracelet he got from Prince James on the girl's wrist. The creature he was with just studied the bracelet and said nothing. Despite her body being covered in flames, Princess Kairo was cold to the touch. Freezing even.

"So what should I start with?" Carl asked, facing the white nine-tailed fox. It smirked a little at him.

"Your job is to make sure her heart doesn't stop beating when the phasing begins. Brace yourself, it's going to be a long night!"

The fox's words reminded the court physician of those that the Queen uttered when she learnt of the awakening and the rise of the red moon. Perhaps, the man thought, he was in over his head.

He felt death's stare mocking him from behind and decided to suck it all up and do whatever he could to keep his princess alive. Maybe this way, he could at least pay half of his debt to the Crown Princess.

Saving her daughter might atone for some of his sins. Well, he hoped.

Author's note

This was a short chapter as it was the continuation of the previous chapter 7. I truly hope that the story is enjoyable if you make it this far.

What did you think of this chapter?

Of Thana and Katanya?

Carl was supposed to be just a random character but I decided otherwise.

Enjoy!