Chapter 19: Accident Free

Kris slowly began to open his eyes. He felt refreshed like he had gotten the best sleep of his life. As he began stretching his arms outwardly, he felt his hand bump into something. He stopped, looking over to see his brother still passed out in the bed next to him. Kris nearly forgot that they were at Disney. Yesterday had been so long that he had completely forgotten they had made it.

Kris slowly got himself up out of bed, he hadn't even remembered getting in it the night before. The last thing he remembered was sitting out on the lawn watching a movie, now he is back in their hotel room. He looked over to the other bed and saw Sam sprawled out on it, taking up the whole bed. Tammi was no where to be seen, she must have already gotten up and left the room. 

Kris wasn't sure if his parents were awake or not, but he didn't really care either, he knew he needed to take a shower as his pull-up was likely soaked. He quietly snuck his way over to the dresser he and his brother shared. Opening it as slowly as he could not wanting to wake Kyle or Sam. He wasn't used to sharing a room with so many people before. Not only that, but normally he was the one to oversleep. Only today was different. He was hoping that while they still slept, he might be able to sneak back downstairs to the main lobby with his dad, and play some games in the arcade. 

Playing some games with his dad, was one of Kris's favorite activities to do. They normally played at the grocery stores arcade while mom was busy paying for the groceries. Only, this was Disney world, their games had to be a hundred times cooler than the basic ones he was used to playing. 

Kris grabbed a set of clothes from the dresser. A new pair of pants, and a shirt with a pair of socks. He was a little disappointed to see his underwear hadn't made their way into his dresser, but it was pretty late last night by the time they arrived, and when the movie likely ended, that his parents just didn't think about it. 

With his change of clothes, Kris tiptoed his way out of the shared room out to the living space in their suite. He hoped the package of underwear was still out there like it was yesterday before they left for the movie, just sitting on the counter. As he entered the living space, he was able to to see his mom out sitting on the couch, drinking a cup of coffee. She looked exhausted.

"Morning, bud. How did you sleep?" Kim sounded just as tired as she looked. She likely wanted to sleep another hour or two at least, yet she was already awake.

"Morning. I slept really well." Kris felt bad for his mom. He felt partly responsible for disturbing his mom's sleep these last few weeks. Each time he woke up in the middle of the night, he had to bug her to get a new pull-up. Leading to a lot of late-night wake-ups. 

"That's good. How's your pull-up? Did you manage to stay dry last night?" She asked, practically in a daze. Kris hadn't noticed the feeling of his pull-up yet. The morning waking felt robotic, just going through the motions without much attention to the details. He just assumed he was wet as usual. 

"Umm... I'm not sure." Kris felt confused. His attention back on his pull-up for the first time since before going to sleep. It felt different, it wasn't cold, clammy, or heavy. "Did I actually stay dry last night?" Kris couldn't believe that his pull-up wasn't the normal feeling. Instead, it almost felt like a new one he had just put on. 

"That's okay, bud. Go ahead and get cleaned up. Your sister should be out in a minute" She didn't even register Kris's reply, instead just responded as she always does. Kris could see her head nodding back to sleep, only getting caught at the last second keeping herself awake. Kris made his way over to the counter where his new underwear was last night, moving things around trying to find them.

"What are you doing, bud?" Kim's face looked like she had a headache or was confused as to what was going on. 

"I was just grabbing a new pair of underwear." Kris found the package over on the kitchen's island.

"What? Don't be silly, you're still in pull-ups. You don't have undies yet you silly goose." It was clear at this point his mom wasn't completely there. She had to be half asleep if she thought Kris didn't have any underwear. They literally just bought a new pack last night. He was holding it. What was she talking about?

"Ummm... okay" Kris wasn't sure what to do. He was sure his mom wasn't serious. There was no way. But did he want to risk it? He didn't want to disobey on the off chance she meant it, but he also knew it was unlikely. Rather than arguing with her, he opted to continue as planned, for now at least. 

Still holding the package of underwear, he left the kitchen on his way over toward the bathroom. As he turned the corner, he saw Tammi standing in the hallway brushing her hair, giggling to herself. She must have heard the whole thing. Kris stared at her, unsure how she was going to respond. 

"Don't worry about it. She's probably half asleep, dreaming about a time when you were still potty training." Tammi had a genuine smile of joy. She thought her mom was being silly, and even if it was embarrassing for Kris, she couldn't help herself laugh at their mom's situation. 

The assurance from Tammi wasn't as effective as she might have intended. Her giggling and the thought of his mom dreaming about a time when he was still potty training made him feel little again. It had been years since he went through potty training. The thought of needing to do it again felt like a boulder crushing him.

Rather than acknowledging her comment, Kris simply rushed past her toward the bathroom, closing the door behind him. It was their second day in Disney, he wasn't about to let his sister or mom ruin it already. The day just started, he was determined to be a big kid, and have fun playing with his siblings today. If he hurried, he might still be able to play in the arcade with this dad.

Not wanting to waste any time, Kris stripped down to his pull-up. He couldn't believe his eyes, it was dry. He removed and examined it a little closer, he wanted to be sure. Completely bone dry, not even slightly damp. This was the first time in a long while he managed to sleep through the night without an accident. There was no telling if it would happen again, but just the fact that it happened made him feel overjoyed.

Excited about the outcome, Kris jumped into the shower; he couldn't wait to tell his dad that he managed to go without an accident. But he didn't want to do it around his siblings. The last thing he wanted was for one of them to make a remark about it being a Christmas miracle or something. He already hated the fact he had to wear the pull-ups, and his mom's sleep comment about not wearing underwear didn't help either. 

After a quick scrubbing, Kris got out of the shower, dried off, and looked at his pile of clothes in the bathroom. He had the brand new pack of underwear, his pull-up and the rest of his clothes. 

"Should I wear the pull-up again? Mom said I don't have undies, but Tammi and I think she didn't mean it. Do I risk it though? Last time I wasn't sure, I peed myself, and dad got mad enough that I ended up in pull-ups again." Kris felt conflicted. He knew she likely didn't mean it, but just like last time, if he made the wrong choice it could completely change the way everything else played out.