chalybe (steel)

7th Day Before the Ides of Ianuarius (7th January, 43 BCE)

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR. Pisae, Italia

Gaius was bored. It had been days since anything has happened in Pisae. A week ago Gaius had received a letter from his beloved sister that contained a single phrase and informed him of the war beginning but nothing had really changed in the material. Agrippa and Gaius had travelled to the coastal town of Pisae and gathered more men from the area but with no news from the north there wasn't really much the two friends could do.

"Lord?" the voice of one of his personal guards, Vinnius, came from outside the door.

"Yes?"

"A messenger, Lord, from the Senate." Vinnius bowed and stepped aside, allowing another man to enter the room.

The man was older than Gaius but still seemed young for a magistrate, he was wearing the white tunic and toga that denoted his status. The man paused a few steps into the room and Gaius stepped forward to meet him. "Gaius Julius Caesar, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, I am Manius Tarquitius, I have a letter from Consul Pansa and Consul Hirtius."

"Greetings, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well," Gaius said with a fake smile that he hoped looked real. Manius handed him a scroll, still sealed with a red wax seal of the consul. The sound of footsteps made Gaius pause in his movements. Vinnius, who had stepped back into the doorway to guard, placed his hand on his sword but relaxed when Agrippa came into view. Agrippa nodded to Vinnius as he passed him and walked around Manius to reach Gaius' side. "Agrippa, this is Manius Tarquitius, a messenger from the consuls," Gaius nodded to the older man. Agrippa smiled at Manius and mumbled a greeting but only moved to step closer to Gaius. Manius greeted Agrippa back but looked slightly put out by the offhand greeting.

Gaius simply ignored the other man and with another look at Agrippa, cracked the seal and opened the letter. There was a small letter and a smaller piece of parchment wrapped up in the scroll.

'By the order of Consul Gaius Vibius Pansa and Consul Aulus Hirtius, Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus, son of Gaius Julius Caesar, is hereby named propraetor and given all benefits that title allows.

Senatus Populusque Romanus'

Gaius blinked, oh... he hadn't expected that. To be named propraetor meant that the small army he had built here in Pisae was now legal and not an illicit bodyguard. Agrippa let out a soft chuckle beside him and Gaius looked up at him to share a smirk before schooling his expression and turning back to the letter in his hand.

'Dear Caesar Octavianus,

We have not met but I was informed by Marcus Tulius Cicero that you are in support of Senatorial action against the former consul Marcus Antonius. As such, Consul Pansa and I have decided to, with the senate's approval, declare you a propraetor and request that you march to the Via Cassia and wait for the arrival of myself and my troops for a march on Mutina to relieve the siege of Decimus Brutus.

I will be intrigued to meet the son of my good friend Gaius Julius Caesar,

Consul Aulus Hirtius of Rome.'

Gaius smiled, the time of boredom was over and the war was beginning. "Agrippa, Vinnius, gather the men and prepare to move west." Agrippa nodded, bowed slightly and he and Vinnius left the room to gather their soldiers. Gaius turned to Manius, "you know what these letters say?"

"I do," Manius nodded.

"And they sent you because?"

"I am to serve as your camp assistant until the consul arrives," Manius bowed and Gaius smiled.