5 - Stay Exceptional

My hand is itching to dive into my bag to check my phone while I queue by the fancy doors of Gloria's Terrace on Friday night. But my phone doesn't ring, and it hasn't rung for the last two days.

Honestly, I don't know if Roman is coming. I would call him, but his business card doesn't have his personal number, and it didn't feel right to ring his office.

Well, it's eight; it's Friday, and I'm here, anyway.

The host smiles politely when I finally reach the head of the line.

"Roman Rhode... A table for two?" I ask.

My heart flutters while he checks the list. Mr. Rhode has a reservation, but I'm the first to arrive.

This is something.

I follow the host's lead and step out to the terrace.

The top floor of this skyscraper is buzzing with house music and colorful lights. Sassy customers sip their drinks and enjoy their tiny Michelin-starred dishes in a tropical jungle setting under the stars. The world-famous restaurant overlooking the Hudson River seems full tonight.

The host escorts me to a bar under fake palms. I part a couple of fake leaves that brush my face and take a seat on a high stool. The place keeps getting crowded by the second. It's the perfect spot for a first date... But will Roman turn up?

I check the doors every now and then, but it's impossible to see much in the dim lighting. When the bartender hands me a cocktail menu, I put on a brave smile and order a lychee martini.

"Awaiting any guests?" he asks, taking out a shaker.

"Yeah... I'm not sure. I hope he comes." I peek at my phone. Roman is already half an hour late. Don't get me wrong, I would have left if it were any other guy. Call me crazy... I think it's crazy too, but I feel as if I've known Roman all my life and I'm willing to wait a little longer.

The bartender shoots me a glance from the corner of his eye. "If he's late, then he is probably not worth your while. Take it from someone who sees lots of heartbreaks every night."

"Oh, believe me, he has enough reason not to show up tonight," I say, sliding him an extra ten.

He slips the tip into his pocket, then raises his tattooed arms and starts shaking my cocktail. "He asked you out, though, didn't he?"

I nod, watching him pour the pale liquid into a chilled glass.

"Then you are no exception. Stay exceptional," he says and makes me laugh. Okay, I'm tipping him another ten.

"I don't know about me, but this cocktail is definitely exceptional," I say, taking a sip.

He winks and takes the money. Then dipping his hand somewhere below the counter, he takes out a plate of exotic fruits and places it in front of me before he tends to his other customers.

I pop a lychee into my mouth, turn my chair around and...

...find myself looking into Roman's caramel eyes.

"Hi," he says with a subtle grin.

Oh my God. He's here. I swallow the fruit as a whole.

Roman's gaze falls to my extra-deep cleavage and trails my exposed skin all the way down to my belly button. His lips twitch. His pupils dilate. I'm enjoying the dangerous glow and the amber hues in his eyes more than he's enjoying my mini, black dress.

He places a hand on my back and leans in. His oaky perfume consumes me as his face gets closer, and closer... My inner goddess wakes up instantly, but she is no longer a blossoming goddess. She's a beast on high alert...caged deep inside my chest, ready to break loose and torch the world.