Jillian and her kids managed to escape from Randall when he left them to confront the thugs. He forgot his Barbie backpack on the ground; it was wide open and some items had fallen out.

With duct tape sealing their mouths, no one could utter a word. They all shared the same desperate thought: how to get to the backpack. 

Gail bravely began to twist and turn in a frenzy. The rope chafed her clothes and tore them, then scraped her skin raw. She had to rescue her family from the small madman who had tied them up. After several agonizing minutes, she managed to free herself from the rope. 

Even with her hands tied behind her back and her feet bound by a rope, Gail refused to give up. She rolled on the ground, inching closer to the backpack. She ignored the pain in her arms and legs, the bruises and cuts from the rough ground. She was certain there was something sharp inside it.

She stretched her hand as far as she could, feeling the edge of the backpack. A sharp object pierced her hand. A knife, she realized, flinching from the pain. She gripped it with her tied hand, feeling the sharp blade. She brought it to her wrist, trying to cut the duct tape. She sawed back and forth, and finally she felt the duct tape snap and her hand free. She quickly removed the duct tape on her mouth and cut the rope on her feet. She limped back to set her family free.

Jillian and her kids trembled in the darkness, feeling their way blindly. They had lost track of time and direction. They kept looking back, terrified that the little man would reappear and torment them again. 

Their stomachs growled, their mouths were dry, and their feet were sore. But they knew they couldn't stop to rest. It was too risky. Randall could be anywhere, hunting them down.

Dionah stopped as a sudden pain gripped her stomach. She exhaled slowly and touched her barely visible baby bump. She wished Vinny was there, who had died ignorant of his fatherhood. How would he have felt? Maybe he would have stood up for her and their baby against Randall. She feared the prospect of being a single mom and raising a baby on her own. With a quivering voice, she asked, "What do we do now?”

Jillian tuned out Dionah's question, too absorbed in her own thoughts. She still couldn't wrap her head around Tom's betrayal. He had pretended to be a loving father, but he had a dark side that he hid from everyone. Cheating on her was bad enough, but what really horrified her was how he and his lover had abducted and trafficked innocent children. She vowed to expose her despicable dead husband for his crimes, if they ever escaped this nightmare. And she would beg for forgiveness from all the parents whose children had been harmed or killed by him.

They heard a sudden strange noise. It sounded like a branch snapping. Everyone froze in their spot. Could it be Randall trailing them? They held their breath, hoping he wouldn't find them. A frightened animal scampered away from them, rustling the leaves. They let out a sigh of relief. It was just a false alarm.

"Let's go to the cops, please!" Jordan begged, rubbing his sore limbs. He was covered in bug bites and felt awful. He wished he was in his cozy bedroom, gaming on his console, instead of running for his life.

A car headlight glimmered in the distance. “We must be near the road!” Gail exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with excitement. She darted ahead of them, ignoring their warnings.

“Gail, stop!” Jillian cried out, reaching for the little girl's shoulder. But Gail was too fast for her. She sprinted towards the road, followed by her frantic family.

They saw the old gray Toyota truck approaching and held their breath. They stood in the road and jumped up and down, hoping to catch the driver's attention. The driver screeched to a halt, just inches away from them. He wiped the sweat from his face and muttered, “That was too close. I could have killed them."

He climbed out of the truck and staggered toward them. "Are you all okay?" he yelled. His body was round and bulky, like a barrel on legs. His face was weathered by age and hardship, with deep wrinkles and scars. His nose was sharp and hooked, giving him a hawkish appearance.

Dionah's voice trembled as she pleaded with the man. "No, we're not okay. We need help. Can we please borrow your phone to call the police?" 

The man shook his head and gave a fake apologetic smile. "Sorry, I left my phone at home. But don't worry, I have a better idea. Why don't we go back to my place? Everyone can wash up while I cook something for you. You can call the police from there. It's not far from here," he suggested. He flashed a grin at Jordan and Gail and winked at them. "You have something on your cheek, princess." He reached out to touch the terrified little girl's face and squeezed her shoulders."

The mother flinched as the man touched her daughter's shoulder. He quickly withdrew his hand and cleared his throat. “I’m sorry. My name is Doug. I mean no harm. I just want to help. You and your kids look like you could use a good meal and some rest. Why don't you come with me to my place?” 

Jillian was gripped by panic and suspicion, but she also saw the hunger and fatigue in her children's eyes. They had no other option. They nodded reluctantly and followed the stranger to his car.

As they drove, Doug belted out an unfamiliar song, hoping to lift the mood. But his efforts were in vain. No one appreciated his loud singing. They were all tense and impatient. They just wanted to reach his place and get some help. 

"Are we there yet?" Dionah moaned, clutching her stomach. The man ignored her and kept on crooning. 

Jordan glanced back from his seat and a chill of dread ran down his spine "Guys, I think something is moving in the back of the truck." 

The man scowled and said, "Those darn raccoons again. I bet they're ripping my tarp to shreds. I should have cleaned it. I do a lot of hunting. There might be some blood stains on the tarp.”

A dark figure flashed across the headlights, barely visible in the pitch-black night. “Watch out!” Jillian shrieked, clutching Doug’s arm. Her shrill voice pierced his ears and sent a jolt of adrenaline through his veins. He jerked the steering wheel to the right, trying to avoid the dark figure. The truck swerved violently, skidding on the gravel. Doug felt the tires lose their grip on the road. The truck veered off the edge, plunging into the darkness. Everyone in the truck screamed their heads off, as they braced for the inevitable impact.