In front of them stood a man, his black and yellow checkered shirt wrinkled, his jeans torn at the knees. His face was stern, a disconcerting echo of the officer's own features. It was as if he had slipped into new clothes and tracked them down after freeing himself from the trunk. But that was impossible-the officer had been injured, a harsh blow to the back of his head. Or had he played dead, outsmarting them all? This man showed no signs of injury. Todd and the others exchanged wary looks, their minds racing. What in the world was happening?

The man in the checkered shirt stepped back, taking a deep breath before speaking again. "Look, I live just over there," he said, nodding toward a different direction. "Not many people come around this abandoned quarry, just some troublemaking kids now and then. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off so strong."

Cyrie's hands were restless, nervously intertwining as she spoke, "We've heard stories about this place and just had to see it. But it got dark so fast, and we kind of freaked out and lost our way." she lied.

The man's voice was firm. "Where's your car?"

Silence hung in the air; no one dared mention the stolen car they'd abandoned, reeking of gasoline with the officer's dashcam carelessly left on the passenger seat. They remained unsure if the officer had escaped or succumbed to his injuries.

"We got dropped off by a buddy. He was supposed to come back for us but never did. We were just about to hike back to the main road, hitch a ride, and find our way to the nearest town." Todd lied, hugging himself against the chill that had settled in.

"You guys looked shocked to see me. Guess you mistook me for my twin brother, Sam-the new tough cop around here. He's got a reputation, so I get why you'd be scared. But I'm Hank, just a regular mechanic," he clarified, and a wave of relief washed over them.

Abbey's words tumbled out in a hurried whisper. "We really need to get back home. It was nice meeting you, Hank." She was desperate to get back to the stolen car and permanently erase all the evidence. Regret washed over her for listening to Cyrie instead of Todd. She cast a glance at Todd and the others, hoping for their support, but it was met with silence. Exhaustion had taken its toll on everyone.

Hank, oblivious to Abbey's discomfort, offered a diversion. "I have a better idea. Why don't we head over to my place for a drink? It's been pretty lonely since my wife took off with another guy. Just me here in this quiet location. Sometimes Sam drops by, but not often enough. Come on, I'll show you the way," he said, droning on about his lonely existence and the forsaken quarry, while Todd and Abbey played along, lagging a step behind.

Kenzo and Cyrie were quiet, walking a bit behind the others. Cyrie leaned close to Kenzo and whispered, "I've got a bad feeling about this guy. We don't even know him."

Kenzo held her hand. "Fear is natural," he reassured, his tone low and steady. "But I'm here, and I'll protect you. Abbey might not like you, but just keep your distance, and we'll be fine." His words were like a warm blanket, and Cyrie gave a small smile, thankful for his support in the dark.

Randall was lurking in the dark, his eyes glued to Kenzo and Cyrie. He was displeased with Kenzo's display of affection towards her. Jealousy was gnawing at him; her openness seemed to invite trouble. In a quick flash of anger, he scooped up a pebble and hurled it at Kenzo, striking him at the base of his neck. Kenzo's shout of pain broke the quiet of the night, and he let go of Cyrie's hand as he felt the sting.

Cyrie came to an abrupt stop, her face quickly molding into an expression of deep concern. "Kenzo, are you alright?" she questioned, her eyes scanning his face for an answer.

Kenzo's face contorted in discomfort, his hand rubbing the sore spot. "I'm not sure... It feels like I was struck at the back of my neck. Maybe it's just an insect bite, or something else," he said, confusion lacing his words.