Icarus

Somewhere in the Mediterranean, 2014

"Smoke in the air! Smoke in the air!"

"Scout and Adder defending!" the pilot reached forward, pulling up the plane and releasing flares.

"We're clear!"

"Phoenix, what's your status?" Scout asked, roving the sky before she levelled out, "Keep talking to me, Adder, what do you see?" she spoke, not turning back and instead scanning the blue for the plane they came back for.

"Bandit inbound, eight o'clock!" Adder called ahead, checking around as Scout cursed in the front.

"We're out of flares!" she called back, "Phoenix, what's your position?!" she tried again.

"Coming after you—"

"Get out! Don't come back. Clear the air, clear the air!" Scout disagreed, before barking out her position and telling Adder to buckle up. "Breaking left!"

"We gotta get low!" Adder called forward. "Confuse—"

"Confuse his targeting system, descending to 300 feet!" Scout agreed, immediately doing as needed and leading the bandit away. "Phoenix, get back to base!"

"Negative, Scout, you need backup!"

"Get back to base, Phoenix!" Scout demanded again, "We didn't come back here to kill both of us, go!"

"Scout—"

"Negative, Phoenix, that's an order from your superior and team leader. Get back to base! Someone needs to track down Rooster is this ends badly," she spoke, struggling with the pressure on her chest as she twisted and turned the aircraft in the winding canyon. "Adder, are you with me?"

"Always," he agreed, leaning to the side to take one last glance at his pilot, "Now let's increase our chances of getting home. Increase speed, Scout."

"I hope you're buckled in," she smirked to herself, glad to have him on board.

The arrogance didn't last long, panic overtaking both aviators as they were unable to shake the Bandit once they made it through the canyon. The control board warned them of their impending fate.

"Shit, he's got a lock on us! Adder, get ready to eject," Scout called, spotting the coast coming up. "Requiring search and rescue in international waters," she called to command, "Reach for it Adder, on my count! Three...Two..."