three*

chapter three: the reflection of dreams

~

Darkness made way to light as Paul and Aphra exited the Imperial Residence. Paul winced at the sunlight, having to cover his eyes with his free hand so it wouldn't blind him. Aphra laughed softly, squeezing his hand tight as she continued to lead him out into the open. She fought the urge to kick off the shoes she had been given so that she may feel the sand beneath her feet. It was a small piece of home out here.

"Come. Let me show you something," Aphra pulled him faster.

They walked around the side of the building until they reached the stretch of trees Aphra had seen just earlier that day. Paul's eyes remained on her the whole time. He could only remember visions he had seen in dreams. The resemblance would be most uncanny if her hair had been free from the white hood, gold jewels up and down her body, flowing fabrics. He felt so much familiarity in Aphra, as if he had truly known her all his life. The knowledge of her was intimate, whole. Their paths, bodies, and souls were entangled and connected.

"Lisan al-Gaib! Kala Wukar!" voices shouted from nearby.

Robed people stood behind a screen fence, their eyes glowing blue even beneath the shadows of the rockface. Their attention that had once been fixated on the towering palm trees was now on them.

"My mother told me that Lisan al-Gaib means 'the voice from the outer world.'"

Aphra nodded, stopping just before the first date palm, "Yes. It also means 'giver of water.' A prophecy that has been around for a very long time on Arrakis."

"What does that other one mean? Kala Wukar?" Paul asked.

"It means 'desert walker'," Aphra turned, her eyes glinting violet in the sun's rays.

Paul only felt a sense of confusion. He didn't know much of Arrakis superstition. He knew that the Bene Gesserit must have been here before, planting their tales in the minds of the natives here, but that was all lost on him. Why did they call out these names? Why them? Why was any of this happening?

Aphra noted his perplexed expression and explained, "The Desert Walker is the child of Arrakis. Able to wander beneath the sun without consequence. Able to journey beside Shai-Hulud, the great sandworm, and befriend them. The Kala Wukar is a guide. A friend. They are meant to lead the way for the Lisan al-Gaib on his great journey. To stand beside him until death."

Paul saw the way they looked at her as they called for their 'desert walker', "Is that who they think you are? This...guide?"

Aphra's smile widened, "Perhaps. How am I to know such a thing?"

Paul was unbothered by her vague answer, his attention soon captivated by the line of trees, "Are those date palms?"

"Yes," Aphra took her hand from his, running her fingers over the ridges and cracks of the tree trunk, "They're beautiful, aren't they? They're the first things I noticed when I arrived here."