ten*

chapter ten: to kill is to be reborn

~

"Do not run," Stilgar's deep voice sounded.

Aphra relaxed at the familiar voice, "Stilgar."

Paul pulled her closer cautiously, "You know me. I was there when you came to my father's council."

Stilgar lowered his mask, "Yes. The Duke's son."

Jamis stepped forward, glaring at the hand on Aphra's wrist before his eyes flitted up to Paul's face, "Why are you waiting?"

"This is the boy I told you about. We can't touch him."

"How can he be the Lisan al-Gaib?" a Fremen woman questioned above.

Aphra backed up against Paul, "Because I tell you he is."

The woman quieted, staring down at her before taking a step back, her head bowed in a sort of acceptance. If the Kala Wukar claimed him so, then she could not argue.

"He has not proven himself to us, Kala Wukar," a man spoke up, clearly disagreeing.

Aphra's eyes narrowed at him, "Have I not proven myself? Do you not trust my word? Do you think me stupid enough to lead someone I wasn't sure of back to my home?"

"They are weak, Aphra," Jamis spat as he withdrew his crysknife.

Stilgar held up a hand to stop him, "Jamis. That was a brave crossing they made in the path of Shai-Halud. He does not speak or act like a weakling. Nor did his father."

"The Kala Wukar saved his life," Jamis corrected, "Go back to reason, Stilgar. He's not the One."

Jessica stepped forward to shield her son, "We have powerful friends. You help us off-world to Caladan, you will be well rewarded."

"What wealth can you offer beyond the water in your flesh?" Stilgar paused as he stood up, "The boy is young. He can learn our ways. He may have sanctuary. But the woman is untrained...and too old to learn."

"Stilgar, don't," Aphra pleaded.

"It's ok," Jessica said to her, "I'll be fine."

"I wouldn't be so sure," Stilgar lunged, his crysknife in hand.

Jessica grabbed his wrist with surprising strength and quickness, twisting the path of the blade away from her and flipping out of his hold when he grabbed at her. Behind Aphra, another Fremen lunged at Paul, knocking him away from her.

"Stop!" Aphra cried out, unsure of who to fight and who to protect.

Aphra drew in a sharp breath as a blade drove towards Paul's stomach. She reached forward pulled Paul out of its path before it could pierce his flesh.