TWO

The day continued as it always did, the two Dawson ladies working away on all the dresses that customers had dropped off. Even though Imelda had initially said that she wouldn't take any further orders, there were only ever several exceptions to that rule, including Mrs Harrington, because with a name like that comes a pretty pay cheque.

The women gossiped as if they were sisters, being only fourteen years apart in age, there was no room for the typical mother-daughter relationship. Florence appreciated it, because she never viewed her mother as a figure of authority, but rather someone that she knew she could always rely on.

"I'll toss these scraps out in the caddy," Florence informed her mother, scooping up the discarded shreds of fabric and making her way out to the backyard.

She kicked the back door shut with her foot, stepping down the cobbled steps towards the metal bin that the women used to store scraps of old fabrics. They didn't have much use for them, but they knew that there were people who would, so they would leave the caddy out in the alleyway behind the house in the hopes that those in need could find something of use.

"Miss Dawson," Florence looked over her shoulder to see Tommy leaning against the open back gate, smiling as he watched her work away.

"Don't tell me you're here to have a dress fitted," Florence sighed, glancing up at the back of her house, spotting no sign of her mother.

"Not today," He chuckled, unable to help himself from admiring the girl's natural beauty, "I came for something else."

"And what might that be, Mr Shelby?" Florence replied in jest, leaning against the yard wall.

"I got fed up of waiting till this evening," Tommy replied, slowly moving towards her, his hands tucked away in his coat pockets, "I wanted to see you."

"You did?" Florence whispered, unable to stop herself from smiling at the gentle nature of the interaction.

Without a word, Tommy's hands were on her jaw, his lips colliding with hers as she pulled herself closer to him, her back pressed against the wall. She could remain like that forever if the world let her, but as their breath became tangled and her heartbeat became heavy she pulled back, staring at the ice cold blue eyed man.

"What's wrong?" He muttered, peppering kisses along her jaw.

"Someone might see," She replied, tilting her head to the side as Tommy's mouth continued to make its journey down her neck.

"Let them," Tommy mumbled against her sweet skin.

"You've changed your tune since this morning, Tommy," Florence added, reminded of his reluctance just several hours beforehand.

"We've got nothing to hide," Tommy continued, pulling back to look at her again, "We're just taking this slow."

"When have we ever taken this slowly?" Florence laughed under her breath, "You bedded me a week after our first kiss."

"Well, I can't help but be irresistible, can I?" Tommy smirked at her.

"Very true," Florence smiled.

She watched as Tommy pulled his watch from his pocket, his eyes darting back up to her, "You want to join a Shelby meeting?"

"What?" Florence replied in disbelief, knowing just how sacred those conversations can be, having sat in on many while the men were away at war.

"I want you at the meeting," Tommy continued, running his fingers along her arms, "I've always thought you'd make a good Shelby."

Thoughts of a future with Tommy raced through Florence's mind as she pondered the difference between the man who she woke up next to that morning and the man standing before her.