FOUR

this is a double update, read three first!

Florence stared at herself in the mirror, feeling uneasy in her appearance, as though something had changed, but she couldn't figure out what. She struggled deciding what to wear to the Garrison, knowing that the pub would mainly be full of men, as always. But as a member of the Peaky Blinders her presence as the only woman in the group went unnoticed most of the time, and if any customer had a negative word to say on the matter, a Peaky boy would put them in their place.

She'd debated curling up in bed, her body overcome with exhaustion for no apparent reason. But that would mean letting the boys down, and deep down she knew that she'd feel better for seeing them.

So she dusted herself down, changed into a forest green dress, letting her hair hang naturally as she always did.

"Flossie," Her mother's voice echoed through the house, "You've got a visitor."

Florence took one last look in the mirror, content enough with her appearance, mentally bracing herself for all of the sexist comments that would no doubt be made by the men in the pub. She made her way downstairs, spotting her mother and then Elijah standing in the sitting room. He looked as though he had come straight from work, wearing a navy blue three piece suit, with a white shirt and forest green tie.

"I thought George was joining us," Florence smiled as she reached the bottom of the stairs, retrieving her fur cuffed coat from the hook and slipping it on.

"Am I not good enough company for you Floss?" Elijah replied, glancing between the girl and her mother.

"Of course you are," Florence rolled her eyes playfully, "So, where is that brother of yours?"

"Believe it or not, he's meeting the parents of his soon to be fiancée." Elijah explained, having left the Harrington estate as the girl and her parents were arriving.

"George is getting married?" Imelda scoffed in disbelief, "As in your brother? He's been on the charm offense since he was twelve years old."

"That's why they're marrying him off, to protect the family name," Elijah told the women, and Florence struggled to decide whether or not he agreed with the idea.

"Your mother will be hounding me for a wedding dress then?" Imelda sighed, all too familiar with the demands of a woman like Margaret Harrington.

"I wouldn't be surprised," Elijah smiled at the woman sympathetically.

"Right, don't let me stop you two from having fun," Imelda told the two friends, opening the front door and ushering them out onto the street, "Be good."

"Always," Florence smiled, slipping her arm through Elijah's, clinging on for warmth and security as the pair paced along the pavement in the direction of the Garrison.

"What have I missed in your world, Miss Florence?" Elijah asked the girl, glancing down at her with a smile, "My father's had me so wrapped up in these new business deals, I've barely seen you."

"The shop's been busy," Florence sighed as Tommy Shelby played on her mind, leaving her contemplating whether or not to tell her dear friend the truth about her relationship, "And the Shelbys are bringing me into the firm."

"Does that mean I'm in the presence of a Peaky Blinder?" Elijah smirked at the girl as she held onto his arm.

"I suppose so," Florence grinned, overcome with pride at the thought of being part of such a thing.

"I have no doubt that you'll have them wrapped around your finger before the year is out," Elijah assured the girl as they turned a corner, passing a group of men in flat caps lingering, a few with lit cigarettes in their mouths. One in particular caught her eye, with his chiseled jaw and devious smirk as he laid eyes on her, she wordlessly returned her gaze to the cobbled street.