SEVEN

"I need a word," Tommy's voice startled Florence as the front door to her house opened.

"Nice to see you too," Florence rolled her eyes as she sat at her kitchen table, grateful that her mother was busy at the Harrington estate, "What can I do for you?"

"Did you know?" He exhales, running a hand back through his hair, visibly agitated.

"You'll have to give me more details, I'm lost," Florence answered as she stood up opposite him.

"Did Ada tell you that she's pregnant?" He asked, and Florence quickly realised that she didn't have long to decide how to answer him.

"Yes," She nodded, promptly concluding that lying would only make the situation more complicated.

"And why didn't you tell me?" Tommy asked, frustration in his voice, as though that were the most important aspect of the entire situation.

"It wasn't for me to tell you, Ada was worried that you'd be angry," Florence explained, noting how accurate Ada's concerns had been, "She also knew what you'd be like if you found out who the father is."

"Did she tell you that as well?" Tommy sighed as he began pacing back and forth.

"No," Florence shook her head, even though she knew exactly who the father was.

Upon their return from finding out that Ada was pregnant, the three women retreated to the Dawson home. Imelda was still up and working on a dress, but when the three women appeared in the living room she knew something wasn't right. Florence took Ada upstairs while Polly and Imelda shared their concerns in the kitchen, as Ada revealed to Florence that the father of her baby was in fact Freddie Thorne.

"You better not be lying to me," Tommy replied.

She scoffed under her breath, folding her arms across her chest, "You can leave if you're going to talk to me like that."

"Flo-"

"No," She shook her head, eternally frustrated by the version of Tommy that she knew was buried under everything that the war had burdened him with as she paced towards the back window in the kitchen, overlooking the yard.

"Hey," He paced after her as she kept her eyes on the empty yard, Tommy snaking his arms around her shoulders, nestling his head into the crook of her neck, "I'm sorry, I'm just worried about my sister."

"Of course you are," Florence sighed, knowing deep down that this was also about Tommy's reputation, that he needed to remain someone who could be feared, "But if you approach this the way you usually do, you'll only push Ada away."

"I won't have someone take advantage of my sister like that, Flo," Tommy reiterated, kissing the side of her head, "You know what the men around here are like."

"Yeah, I do," She sighed, turning to face him as he rested his hands at the base of her neck, "But Ada seemed certain that this man would be decent enough to marry her, whoever he is."

"Well that's something, I suppose," Tommy muttered, "Do you know where she is?"

"She mentioned going to the pictures, why?" Florence replied cluelessly.

"I need to sort this out," Tommy answered, letting go of his girl and heading for the front door.

"For fuck sake," Florence hissed to herself, following after Tommy, "What good do you think this will achieve?"

"I haven't thought that far ahead," Tommy replied, opening the front door as Florence grabbed her coat and followed after him.

"That's not like you, maybe you should stop to think for just a minute," Florence suggested as she sped up to walk alongside Tommy, noticing the way he held out his arm for her to hold onto.