THIRTEEN

The colour white is meant to symbolise a lot of things. People often think of it as the first sign of winter when snow settles on the ground. It is also often used to symbolise cleanliness and perfection, much like a new baby. But what it is most often associated with is the purity and virtue of a bride, something that Florence struggled to believe that she possessed as she stared at her reflection in the mirror.

A month had passed since Florence and Elijah had  announced their 'engagement', only the two of them and Tommy Shelby remained aware of the true nature of the arrangement, even though Elijah still had no idea of the baby's father's true identity. With each day Florence grew more tired and her bump began to show, it was only a slight change, but she was convinced that people would notice.

It was the day of her wedding and all that Florence could think about was everything that had led her to that moment. Tommy was the reason she was marrying another man, he was also the reason that a life was growing inside of her.

As she stared at her reflection she felt unsettled by the way the white dress hung on her body. There hadn't been enough time for Imelda to fashion her a brand new dress, given the urgency of the wedding and how busy Imelda had been with Diana's wedding dress. So the dress that Florence wore was a simple white dress that flowed effortlessly over her body, perfectly concealing her petite baby bump.

"Flossie," Imelda said from the other side of the bedroom door, "It's just me and Pol, can we come in?"

"Yeah," Florence answered as the door opened, looking in the mirror to see her mother and Polly entering the room that she had been assigned by Margaret.

"Oh, my love," Imelda smiled as Polly closed the door, both women equally as proud of the young lady who stood before them, "You look so beautiful."

"Elijah Harrington is a lucky man," Polly grinned, even though deep down she knew there was more to the union than Florence had let on.

Polly had seen a shift in Tommy's behaviour since Florence announced her engagement, he was spending less time at home and more time up at Charlie's yard or working with the horses. But Polly had also noted that unlike everyone else in the room that day, Tommy didn't seem surprised or shocked by the announcement, almost as though he knew it were coming.

But Polly knew that love could be complicated, she knew that if her suspicions were correct then there were deep rooted reasons for the decisions that followed. Polly knew better than to pry, she knew that in time when either Florence or Tommy needed guidance she would be there for them.

"Can you see the bump?" Florence asked, turning to the side, "I feel like people might notice."

"Flossie," Polly sighed, "You look absolutely radiant and that baby inside you isn't even the size of an apple yet, so no one will notice."

"But they'll work it out in several months," Florence replied, resting a hand on her stomach, "All of the Harringtons' rich friends will be asking questions, they already think that Elijah taking me as a wife is questionable, I heard Margaret telling one of her maids the other day."

"Florence, look at me," Polly quipped as she approached the girl, "Fuck the lot of them, you don't need those rich bastards with their fancy titles and massive houses, I mean who needs a house as big as this?"

"She's right," Imelda added with a smile.

"Of course I'm right, I'm always right," Polly smirked at her best friend.

"Now, do you have your something old, new, borrowed and blue?" Imelda asked her daughters, aware that as they spoke guests were filling the garden.

"Old would be the dress," Florence answered.