Full Moons and Family Reunions

About half an hour later, Harry, Draco, Ron, and Hermione were heading back from whence they came, accompanied by a convicted mass murderer, a tired werewolf, a bound-and-gagged illegal Animagus, and an unconscious professor levitating in midair.

          Things had been...interesting.

          Ron was limping on his broken leg, the sides of his face smeared with dirt as he winced in pain; Hermione's hair was frizzy as ever, her face contorted into a worried frown; while Draco was helping to levitate Snape in midair—Harry supposed Draco didn't trust Sirius to get his godfather back to the castle without a few extra concussions.

            Sirius must have read Harry's thoughts, because he decided to break the silence. "Er, sorry kid, I didn't quite catch your name?"

            Draco diverted his focus to give Sirius a half smile. "Draco. Draco Malfoy."

           "Malfoy?" Sirius's silver eyes widened in realization. "Oh, you're Narcissa's son!" 

          Draco nodded in response. "Oh, well then, that makes us cousins!" Sirius grinned, sticking his hand out for Draco, who shook it shyly. "You must be one of us rebellious Blacks, aren't you? Hanging around the Chosen One?" Draco laughed.

          "Sirius, darling, please save the family reunion for later," groaned Professor Lupin with a hand to his temple. "I need coffee. So much coffee."

          Harry's godfather snickered. "Yeah, you look like it." His face had already begun to lose some of its pallor, though the bags under his eyes hadn't decreased in the slightest. "You sure you're all right? Remus? Re— REMUS!"

          Harry swiveled around to see the moon. It shone brightly, its full shape coming out from behind the clouds—

          Full moon.

          Harry watched in horror as his professor dropped his wand to the ground, as his eyes turned black and his nails sharpened into claws. Sirius was hugging him, murmuring something that Harry couldn't understand, but before he could do anything, Pettigrew shrank back into a rat, his ropes discarded and his clothes lying in a heap on the ground. Harry went to leap after him, but Draco held him back.

          For Merlin's sake, why couldn't anything go his way for once?