Astounding Accusations

Harry and Hermione dashed back to the Hospital Wing, where Dumbledore was watching their past selves spin the time turner. They vanished, and the headmaster looked up, looking quite happy to see them. He said nothing, only smiled with that twinkle in his eye as he held the door open for them.

          Draco was waiting for them inside.

          "That was it?" he wrung his hands anxiously. "And what about Sirius?"

          Harry grinned. "Don't worry about it. We'll explain later."

          Suddenly, they all perked up to a large commotion that seemed to be occurring outside the Hospital Wing. The door burst open, revealing Dumbledore, Fudge, and a livid Snape.

          "OUT WITH IT, POTTER!" he roared. "WHAT DID YOU DO?"

          Harry feigned confusion. "Whatever do you mean, Professor?"

          Fudge put a reassuring hand on the professor's shoulder. "He must have Disapparated, Severus. We should have left someone in the room with him—"

          "HE DID NOT DISAPPARATE! YOU CANNOT APPARATE NOR DISAPPARATE WITHIN THESE WALLS!" The Potions master was practically purple with fury. "IT MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH POTTER!"

          Harry was fighting the urge to smirk as he looked around to gauge the others' reactions. Madam Pomfrey was taken aback, Hermione's eyes were wide, Draco was biting his lip in what appeared to be an attempt to hide amusement, and on the other side of the room, Ron was beginning to stir from all the noise.

          "Why, Severus!" Madam Pomfrey said flabbergastedly. "You're going to wake the whole castle! My patients have been here this whole time, with the door locked!" Hermione nodded along fervently.

          "THEY HELPED HIM ESCAPE, I KNOW IT!" Harry wondered how there wasn't any steam coming out of Snape's ears as he bellowed loudly enough to finally rouse Ron from his unconsciousness.

          He lifted his head up groggily. "Whassgoin'on?"

          "Calm down, man," reasoned Fudge. "You're talking nonsense!"

          "YOU DON'T KNOW POTTER!" Snape yelled, spit flying from his mouth. "HE DID IT, I KNOW HE DID IT—"

          "That will do, Severus," said Dumbledore serenely. "The children have been in the Hospital Wing with a careful watch over them for the past hour. Poppy, is there any way they could have snuck out?"

          "Of course not!" said the nurse adamantly. "I would have heard them!"

          "Well, there you have it, Severus," said the headmaster. "Unless you are suggesting that that Harry and Hermione could be in two places at once, I'm afraid I don't see any point in troubling them further."

          Snape huffed out a furious breath and turned on his heel, robes whipping behind him as he stormed out. There was an awkward silence.

          "Fellow seems quite unbalanced," commented Fudge. "I'd watch out for him if I were you, Dumbledore."

          "Oh, he's not unbalanced," said the headmaster simply. "He's just suffered a severe disappointment." Draco snorted.

          "Now, now, sirs," Madam Pomfrey had finally regained her disposition. "I must insist that you leave." 

          "Ah, yes, Poppy. Come along, Minister."

          And with that, Harry was pushed back into bed with another piece of chocolate.