A Game of Hide and Seek

"Fae!" I opened my eyes. Bright sunshine shone cheerily down on me. Again, Iris shook me urgently. "Fae! Wake up!" I bolted upright.

Something was terribly wrong. "What Iris? What is the matter?" A tear slid down Iris' cheek as she spoke. "It's Zuna, Fae. She's gone missing! I've looked everywhere, but don't know where to find her!" If I wasn't thoroughly awake before, I was now.

I jumped to my feet, trying not to imagine all the things that could have taken Zuna. "Do the others know?"

Iris wrung her hands. "No! I didn't want to worry them!"

"Iris! You've got to let them know! For all we know, Malum could have taken her, or the Pyro and his awful goons!" I desperately grabbed my jacket from Ezra's unoccupied bed. I heard a gasp and turned around. Iris' face was white. "Iris! What is it?"

Iris swallowed and pointed to my back. "Somebody pinned a piece of paper to your back!" I reached to my back and sure enough, found a piece of paper. When I had it in front of my eyes, I smiled. "Zuna! Iris, it is from Zuna!" Iris leaped next to me and asked what it said. "It says,

'In the trees, or on the ground.

Wherever you look, I cannot be found.

Use your brains but do not peek!

Join me in this game of hide and seek.'

"Oh Iris! She's only hiding from us!" Iris gave a sigh of relief as she smiled. "Now," I said, returning the grin, "You run and get the others, and we'll make a big game of it." Iris nodded and left drying the tears on her cheeks.

She had everyone gathered by the time I had brushed out my hair, and braided it again. When I arrived at the main fire, I chuckled to myself. Iris had even gotten Nix. I looked around, observing who else was there. Decoy, Jerry, Kylo, Nix, Ezra, Aurora, Ethan, and I were all present. "I am surprised she left the guard out of this," I chuckled to myself. Iris read the note Zuna had left, and soon everyone had split up, determined to be the first to find Zuna. Well, I didn't know about Nix.

I started looking in little circles. As I drifted further away from the camp, the woods grew more pleasant. Elegant birches, tall oaks, stubby yashki trees, and finally, the queer trees that grew near the castle became more plentiful. At last, not a single leaf or stick lay idly on the ground. It was all lush green grass that nearly reached the top of my shoes.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps behind me. Stepping behind an oak, I peered around the tree. It was only Kylo. He mumbled something as he casually stepped over a tree root. Then he abruptly turned, his hand flying to the hilt of his dagger. Ezra stepped out from behind a birch. I groaned to myself. Why does it have to be him?

"No need to be alarmed. It's only me." I could tell Ezra was trying to keep his cool. Kylo slid his dagger back into his sheath but an icy, anger filled expression still on his face. Somehow, I felt like I should stay behind the tree, to not let them see me. "Like I said, it's only me," Ezra repeated. His hands shook as he raised them in surrender. Without warning Kylo whipped out his fist, charging toward Ezra. Planting his feet, Ezra pulled back his sleeve, and easily blocked Kylo's punch. Not wanting to hurt him, Ezra swiftly punched him in the gut just hard enough to knock the wind out of him.

Kylo took a staggering step backwards and bent over his stomach gasping for air. I flinched, and was surprised to find myself smiling.

Kylo's face was red with rage. He wiped the blood from his nose and sat up. His frowning face softened, and he smiled. Then, he began to laugh. Laugh! Ezra joined in as he helped him up. "I guess I deserved that." Kylo admitted as he sheathed his dagger. "I'll say." Ezra chortled, and the two headed back to the camp.

As I watched them disappear behind the trees, someone spoke from behind me. "Fae." I jumped and turned around. My hand was near my dagger's hilt, but flew to my mouth instead. "Immanuel!"

* * *

After a blissful greeting, Immanuel and I sat down on the grass beside a creek we had come upon while walking.

"Immanuel, I have sort of a funny question." I started, hoping he would be able to answer. "Ask away, my child," Immanuel replied. I felt even better than I did at the campfire with Ezra. Immanuel's voice was rich and full. "Why did Kylo and Ezra start laughing, even though they basically hate each other? I was super confused." Immanuel gave a chuckle and lay down in the grass beside me, staring up into the sky through the leaves.

"Fae. This wood. This is mine." He paused and took a deep breath.

"But why, Immanuel? Why did they laugh? Especially Kylo! I definitely would not laugh, had someone just punched me in the nose!"

Again, Immanuel gave a chuckle. "In my wood, dear child, only happiness can abide. I have caused your two friends to be friendly while they are in my wood."

My face fell. "Immanuel. Will they ever become friends? They would be such good friends if you allowed them to, and I don't think either of them has had a good friend." Immanuel looked at me and smiled.

Laying his head back, he said, "All in good time. They do have you, you know."

I let a lone tear slide down my cheek. "Oh Immanuel! What can I do? I feel so torn between them both."

He smiled. "All will be revealed in time. Continue praying faithfully, as you have been, and I will give you wisdom. She has been calling for you, you know."

Without warning, a question I had been wanting to ask for ages, bubbled up in my throat and trickled out of my mouth. "Immanuel, I know I shouldn't have gone with Ezra because You told me to stay behind. Would staying behind have prevented Asher's death?"

Immanuel smiled faintly and raised his head to the sky. "No good comes from dwelling on what would have happened, child. What matters is the here and now."

Pondering His words, we sat in silence for a minute. Eventually, He stood and pulled me up. "I'll walk you back to camp." As we walked, I asked Him, "Are you coming to stay with us at the camp?"

He shook His head. "Not currently. Trust in My Father. Trust in Me. And trust in the Holy Spirit." I nodded. Looking up, I see the camp in the distance. Happy shouts of joy are coming from it as Zuna and the others are playing a game of tag. Smiling, I looked over at Immanuel, but He wasn't there anymore. I looked around, but all that was around me was the quiet woods, the leaves softly falling from the trees.

"Fae!" I heard a shout. I looked down at the camp, and saw Kylo waving at me. "Come on!" he shouted. Running past him, Zuna tagged him, and he laughed. Also laughing, I jogged down the hill towards the camp.

"Hey," I said, walking up to Kylo and slugging him on the shoulder.

"Hey," he said, smiling. Suddenly, he tagged me and yelled, "You're it!" Laughing, I tried to tag him back, but he dodged me, running while tripping over stumps. Both laughing, I chased him all over the camp before I finally got him. Tripping over my own feet, I reversed directions and ran back the other way, screaming for Zuna to save me. The little girl smiled and blocked Kylo from tagging me.

Ezra leaned against one of the tents, watching us. A small smile painted across his face; however, it quickly disappeared when he realized who I was running from.

"Got you!" Kylo said and laughed, picking up Zuna and turning her upside down. Joy overtaking her, she smiled and playfully struggled for freedom.

I paused and bent over on my hands on my knees, I relaxed. Everybody looked at me, but they kept their distance.

Smiling at Kylo and Zuna, I noticed a change in Kylo's attitude. He tickled Zuna as she laughed, and I soon ran over to join them, pretending to kidnap Zuna. We all collapse in a heap on the ground, our stomachs tied up in knots because of laughter.

Walking past us, Iris raised her eyebrow. "You guys need a medic?" I was laughing so hard, I couldn't speak. However, Kylo overcame his stomach ache and sputtered, "I think so." We all lapsed into laughter again, lost in playfulness and fun.