6 T e m p o r a r y H a p p i n e s s

Pg.12

Dear Diary,

I don't know.

I don't know how father found out.

I can't think about him without the image of flickering flames scorching his skin, while he screamed in agonising pain appearing in front of my eyes.

The picture haunts me.

Haunts me even in my sleep.

I had stumbled upon a hidden treasure, in search of a place to sleep.

It was hidden, hidden behind a cracked wall and scattered prickly vines.

I had looked at it and immediately felt a magnetic pull, so strong that despite there being nothing behind that wall I  still walked further.

Further...

And further...

To discover a wide lake, waters which were a crystal clear and the bluest of blues, with small silver fishes gliding through the tiniest of waves falling from a grand waterfall, surrounded by the greenest of green grass and oh the trees...the trees were strong and firm which were home to fruits.

I was looking at paradise itself.

"SERAPHINA FIRA SIRIUS! PUT THAT DAMN BOOK AWAY BEFORE I CONFISCATE IT!" screeched her English teacher.

Seraphina jumped in her seat. She was enchanted by her great-great-grandmothers writings and had blocked all senses of the world around her, the unbearable screeching of her English teacher brought her out of the hypnotism she was placed in.

"Huh? What?" spoke Seraphina, confusingly.

All eyes were on her and she hated that. She slipped the diary back in her bag, a reflex she had now learnt to do.

"Look, Seraphina, I know this is an English class and we highly promote reading. I appreciate and love that you have grown a passion to read, I've noticed it. It's good to read but outside lesson time. If I catch you reading again, I will not hesitate to confiscate it."

~~~

Pg.13

Dear Diary,

Paradise?

Was that what I called it?

Paradise...

No!

My own feet ran straight into the hell I was running away from.

Why?

Why is my luck so bad?

Now I'm all alone in a dark, undeciferable room, with one, single candle, writing.

The candle flame is so tiny that I have to place it so close to the pages to write. I fear that they will catch on fire.

Wait...

I think I hear footsteps.