3. T is for Trauma

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

╔═*.·:·.⋇⋆✦⋆⋇.·:·.*═╗
Camp Half-Blood
Year: 2003
╚═*.·:·.⋇⋆✦⋆⋇.·:·.*═╝

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Luke Castellan approached the Big House, slowly, his pace slow and measured, almost as if dragging out the inevitable. Behind him, he heard the occasional snap and rustle, but he paid it no mind. He assumed it to be Annabeth, as the younger girl had a penchant for curiosity, and a tendency to follow him around. Besides, he had far more pressing concerns. His heart thrummed with anticipation, a mix of apprehension and curiosity swirling within him. He had been summoned by Chiron, and though he had faced countless challenges in his short life, there was something about this meeting that set his nerves on edge. 

As he reached the front steps, he spotted the old centaur, sitting in his wheelchair, a blanket draped over his legs. Luke hesitated for a moment, unsure of what to say or how to approach the situation, but then Chiron smiled warmly at him, a twinkle in his eyes, and Luke felt a flicker of ease wash over him. 

"Thank you for coming, Luke."

Luke shifted uncomfortably, the weight of Chiron's gaze settling on him like a heavy cloak, "Of course." 

"It is time."

"Time? Time for what-"

"Your father has made a request."

Immediately, Luke's guard went back up at the mention of his father, his entire body stiffening.

"What could my father possibly want from me now?" he muttered, a hint of bitterness creeping into his tone.

Chiron's smile faltered slightly, his expression tinged with sympathy. "Your father seeks to send you on a quest. To the garden of the Hesperides."

Luke's eyes widened in shock, his jaw nearly dropping from the sheer disbelief of it all. The Garden of the Hesperides? That was no small task—it was one of the legendary labors of Hercules himself. It was difficult to name the emotions that rose within him. Apprehension, appreciation, fear. 

A part of him was skeptical, too. It was a quest of great honor, and he found it hard to believe it was coming from the very same father who had ignored him for years. He knew he was meant to be grateful, to appreciate the gesture, the recommendation made on his behalf by a god, but it was difficult to accept. 

"He wishes...for me to retrieve a golden apple?" he finally asked, his gaze narrowing as he processed the enormity of it all.

Chiron nodded solemnly, his gaze unwavering. "I understand the challenges that lie ahead," he replied, his voice steady. "But your father believes that you are capable of this task."