4. You, Sir, Do Not Bring Me Joy

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

╔═*.·:·.⋇⋆✦⋆⋇.·:·.*═╗
Camp Half-Blood
Year: 2003
╚═*.·:·.⋇⋆✦⋆⋇.·:·.*═╝

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Rin remained crouched behind the bushes, her eyes tracing the path where Luke had stumbled past her, his figure disappearing in the distance. Her curiosity piqued, she couldn't help but wonder why he was heading in the opposite direction of the cabins, but before she could make up her mind to follow him, she was interrupted by the sound of a throat clearing ahead of her.

"You can come out now, Rin."

She straightened slowly, feeling a sheepish embarrassment creeping over her features as she met the gaze of the centaur who stood there appraising her. His wheelchair stood forgotten behind him and he had risen to his full height, but despite her apprehension, Chiron didn't appear angry; instead, there was a thoughtful glint in his eyes, as if he was contemplating something.

He regarded Rin, his gaze piercing yet gentle, as if he could see right through her. 

"Would you like to see the Oracle too?" he asked, his voice low and resonant.

Rin furrowed her brow in confusion. "Why...it's not my quest," she replied uncertainly. "Why would I need to see the Oracle?"

Chiron nodded, his expression sombre, "Yes, I suppose you're right. It is not yet time for you."

"Okay..."

Standing there awkwardly, unsure of what to do next, Rin absentmindedly picked at the latest callouses on her palm, avoiding his gaze. 

"Another day, then perhaps."

His suggestion bewildered her. It's not like she'd ever get a quest of her own —she was too trivial for that— and she found it frustrating that she could not decipher the careful look in Chiron's eye. He knew something. He knew more than he was letting on and he knew something about her she didn't. She wondered if he knew her mother. 

When Chiron spoke again, his voice carrying the weight of ages, Rin nearly rolled her eyes. She was tired of the cryptic nonsense.  

"Your fate is tied to his, in ways even I cannot even begin to understand yet, but you have to remember that it is not the only way. There are many paths that lie before you, but remember, the journey is just as important as the destination. The means just as important as the ends."

"I'm not sure I-"

"Go on then," he interrupted, gesturing in the direction of the cabins. "It is late. Do not linger long where it is not necessary."