8. The Infinite Present

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

╔═*.·:·.⋇⋆✦⋆⋇.·:·.*═╗
Amityville
Year: 2003
╚═*.·:·.⋇⋆✦⋆⋇.·:·.*═╝

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Mass murderer?" Rin's forehead wrinkled in confusion.

"Yeah, you know..."

"I...actually don't?"

"The Amityville Horror?" Samarah raised an eyebrow expectantly. "Crazy guy shoots and kills his entire family. They did a whole bunch of movies on it."

"I don't think I've heard of it."

Samarah sighed in exasperation, giving her a look.

"You need to get out more."

Rin rolled her eyes, "It's not like I get to catch up on all the latest movies in Camp, Sam."

"Yeah, that's why you need to get out more."

Luke remained a silent spectator of their exchange, his eyes tracking over Rin carefully. His gaze was slow and deliberate, and she resisted the urge to squirm under the scrutiny. 

"You okay?" she asked, lips twisting into what she hoped was a reassuring smile, despite the throbbing ache that was rapidly spreading through her left arm, rendering it almost numb. She was grateful for the lack of light under their canopy of trees that obscured the extent of her injuries from view. 

"Me? You're seriously asking me if I'm okay?" Luke's response was tense, his teeth almost grinding. "Are you—"

"I'm fine," Rin interrupted hastily. 

Luke frowned, his fists clenching. The oracle's words echoed in his mind, the haunting green smoking swirling in the recesses of his mind with ominous foreshadowing. He studied her once again, not missing the way she leaned against Samarah for support, the older girl's arm wrapped around her shoulders. He knew she wasn't being entirely truthful and he resisted the urge to reach out and check her for injuries himself. 

"Yeah, yeah, so glad you two made up," Samarah muttered, her words rushed, her eyes darting around the scene. "And we're all fine, now we really should get out of here before anyone starts asking questions."

Luke nodded in agreement.

Samarah didn't wait for further discussion. She cautiously eyed the throng of people still gathered around the smoking remains of the bus, their faces etched with shock and confusion. Some of them turned toward the demigod trio, their eyes curious, and she didn't think they lingered just to exchange pleasantries.

With determined steps, she led the way, her pace brisk, through the dense forest. The ground beneath their feet was uneven, and they stumbled occasionally, but the urgency of their situation propelled them forward.