1.05. The Three Gates

The MountAlbourze — White Bear — is called so because of its shape like a sitting bear. Its slopes are milk-white. Some people say those are covered with snow and ice; others say, with precious pearls and nacre; the rest claims the slopes of Albourze are covered with monsters' bones bleached by the sun and winds.

Near the very top of the mountain there is a huge cave resembling jaws of a beast. Its entrance is stuck with sharp fang-like rocks, which are closed so tight, even a snake wouldn't slip through. A visitor should state his name and origin, recount his journeys and deeds. If he is deemed worthy, the rocky fangs will open and grant him entrance into the cave of the Three Gates.

The cave floor is paved with three kinds of gems — rubies, emeralds and sapphires, and its ceiling is made of glass, crystal and ice.

There are Three Gates in the cave: Gates to Glory, Gates to Knowledge and Gates to Power. The first ones are adorned with a sword, the second ones with a shield, and the third ones with a crown. Why? Easy to explain. From the earliest times the only sure way to win glory has been with a sword in hand, and there is no greater fame than that of a valiant knight. As for knowledge, it's often called a shield against all woes and sorrows, all evils and wrongs, villains and tyrants, injustice and sin, sickness and misery, hunger and thirst, swords and arrows. And a crown always has been a symbol of absolute power, a sacred relic of kings and their greatest treasure.

Those gates are for people who have been seeking something in vain. Anyone who takes one of the gates will start his way to the great glory, great knowledge or great power. Sometimes those gates lead someplace beyond our world, even beyond our time, where the seeker should fulfill his destiny.

It is said that mighty Brannion took the Gates to Glory. He was a warlord and a lover of Idari the Demigoddess, a legendary female ruler who once had conquered and united all the tribes of Arrian. Indeed he became famous, or rather infamous for centuries to come, as he rose in rebellion against his queen and ruined her along with her kingdom, the first and last one in Arrian, burying Arrian's might and glory with it. Since then every ruthless warrior able to single-handedly overthrow a kingdom gets compared with Brannion.

It is said that Lankmar Uallakh, the founder and first ruler of the greatest kingdom of Irshawan, took the Gates to Power. In the Battle of Kinsala he defeated armies of nine princes, captured all nine of them alive and made them swear fealty to him. He made the town of Kinsala his capital, and became the high king of nine princedoms, and gave his name — Lankmar — to the new kingdom.

It is said that wizard Ruatta took the Gates to Knowledge. After that he gained power over every force of nature: fire, water, earth, air and human soul. Not a blade of grass could sprout out without wizard Ruatta's knowledge. He had power to move mountains and make floods subside; and it was he who had stopped the plague that was ravaging Lankmar a hundred years ago.

The way to the Three Gates is long and hard. Countless dangers await those brave souls who want to find the MountAlbourze. It stands beyond three seas, three islands, three rivers, three forests, three deserts, three mountain ranges. On the way there one has to wear out three pairs of iron shoes, grind off three iron walking sticks, break three iron drinking cups, splinter three iron lances, dull three iron swords while fighting with outlaws, ogres and beasts.

The main danger — IronForest — lies at the foot of the mountain. Tree brunches in that forest are sharp and strong as lances, leaves are edged as razor blades, and they grow so close, it's impossible to get through without being cut. The farther the seeker gets the tighter the IronForest close its branches, until they cut him to pieces. Few had ever managed to reach the IronForest, and some of them were so scared they turned tail and came back empty-handed.

They say Brannion cut his wrists open and gave his blood willingly to appease the IronForest, so its branches and leaves didn't sting and cut him. As for Lankmar Uallakh, he ordered his servant to go into the forest and passed through unscathed while his servant was being torn to pieces. Ruatta is said to turn into a bird and fly over the IronForest. The fate of other seekers of the MountAlbourze is unknown. Maybe they perished on their way there, or maybe they went through the gates to another world and another time.