2.07. Ashurran's First Meeting with the Dragon of Aolaigho

From time immemorial in the kingdom of Aolaigho numerous tales were told about sea dragons sinking ships, causing tidal waves, kidnapping pretty girls and boys who went swimming into the sea, and making all other kinds of troubles. For the most part those tales were no more than superstitions, but the very existence of sea dragons was never called into question. On a full moon fishermen and sailors sometimes saw them frolicking in the water under the moonlight.

Rumor had it also that sea dragons were very curious, and most in the world they loved to play riddles. Should a mortal win at this game, the dragon was obliged to grant his three wishes. However it was impossible for a mortal to win, for sea dragons were famous for knowing everything in the world down to the smallest detail. The tales also told about sea dragons' countless treasures, magical talismans, enchanted weapons and other marvelous things hoarded up by them.

So Ashurran made some inquiries and came to the Cape of Kerrung whereabouts a dragon was rumored to dwell. At the very end of the rocky cape which jutted out deep into the sea, the low tide at night would reveal a cave entrance. Many a brave soul went there only to have never been seen again.

Ashurran spent some time at the cape watching the tides. Then she measured the length of a candle which had burned during the low tide at night, and cut off a new candle at the same length. When half of that cut-off candle had burned out, she had to turn back to avoid being caught in the tide.

The warrior princess took her sword and went to the end of the cape at sundown. When the tide ebbed and the dark jaws of the cave opened, she tied a string to a rock, lit her candle and went down unwinding the ball of string as she walked.

The tunnel was not narrow, but a long one, and there were neither forks nor sudden twists nor traps, only yards and yards of slippery wet stone floor. Sea dragons seemed to be unafraid of intruders. At last Ashurran found herself in a great round hall inlaid with multicolored jasper. In its middle, on a huge heap of gold and jewels there coiled up a sea dragon.

His appearance was very much like that of a giant serpent with a head of a dog, all of his body covered with shining cobalt-blue scales. He had four strong paws with long curved claws, fishlike fins on his sides, long whiskers like those of a catfish, and jaws full of sharp fangs. He was both formidable and funny to look upon.

As the dragon saw Ashurran, he lifted up his head and snapped at her in the manner most uncivilized,

"No rest from these mortals! What do you want, girl? You don't hope to steal some of my riches by any chance, do you?"

"Who'd want those shiny trifles," Ashurran smirked. "Let's play riddles instead."

"Hah, that's more like it!" The dragon looked pleased. His doggy muzzle conveyed expressions surprisingly well. "Yet I have to ask, do you really hope to beat me at this game? Me, who knows everything, that occurs under the sun and the moon, below the water and above it!"

"Waggling one's tongue is easy," Ashurran said, unruffled.

The dragon laughed whole-heartedly,

"I like your courage, girl! Why, I'll even let you have the first riddle. Ask away."

"What is it: in the morning on all fours, at noon on two legs, in the evening on three?"

The dragon laughed again loudly,

"Silly girl, I've lived in this world for two thousand years, I saw first people settle on those shores. Do you really think I don't know this riddle? The answer is 'man.' In his childhood he crawls on all fours, then he walks on his two feet, and at the twilight of his life leans on a cane. Keep it up, and your blood will tinge the morning tide."