3.06. Irineo of Arheeze, part 2

Not wasting any time, Ashurran summoned her officers and said, "I need three dozen reliable soldiers to go with me to Furlong. It's a risky, few will come back alive."

Her millenaries and centurions said, "You are our commander. The army will follow you wherever you go. We'll have to do battle with the barbarian sooner or later, why not right now? Let's march light and take supplies and ammunition from the enemy!"

And that's how it was done. Ashurran's army marched out of the city, while Ashurran with three dozen warriors rode in the vanguard on the fastest horses, and they rode their mounts almost to death, trying to get to Furlong as soon as possible.

In the evening they came to Furlong, The battle was already over, the sky was clouded by the smoke rising from the burned-down houses and the barbarians' campfires. The land, once prosperous and rich, was laid waste. The barbarians made their camp near the smoldering remain of the royal summer residence and celebrated their victory with food and drinks.

Ashurran left her three dozen warriors lying in wait and sneaked into the enemy camp. She was wearing clothes of leather and animal pelts over her chain mail, to pass for a barbarian. She was lucky, no one had seen her, let alone questioned her. She found Shiennah's tent promptly, for it was the biggest and most richly decorated one. In front of it the barbarian chief was feasting with his braves, and Irineo sat on his lap, pale and frightened, his clothes torn. He had a collar on with a chain attached, and the other end of the chain was in the chief's hand.

Ashurran saw that Irineo was unhurt, only roughly treated. By that time he had probably guessed why he was spared, and the dreadful fate made his eyes well up with tears. The barbarian chief looked at the youth lustily and sometimes pawed him indecently and even kissed on the lips time and again. Irineo was trembling with fear and disgust, but he dared not resist. After some time the barbarian decided it was time to fully enjoy his captive and dragged him inside his tent.

Ashurran thought, "Not once or twice there were boys defiled by my soldiers, even on my orders sometimes; it's high time I save someone from such a fate."

She sneaked up to the tent from behind, cut through its wall and stormed into it with her sword drawn. By that time Shiennah already started taking off the boy's clothes. At the sight of Ashurran Irineo gasped and burst into tears of relief. Shiennah let him go, jumped on his feet and drew his own sword.

"I call you out, Shiennah, and this boy shall be my prize," Ashurran said.

The barbarian laughed. "There are thousands of my braves around. If I give a command they will riddle you with arrows. Go away, woman, while you are still in one piece. The boy is mine, and I'll have my way with him until I'm thoroughly satisfied."

"This boy is the heir of the Arheezan king, and by the way my lover, and I am Ashurran, the High King's general. You've probably heard of me, even in your backwoods. I'll fight you for him, as the barbarian custom requires. If you order to kill me, your braves will say you are afraid of a woman. And also they'll say you love rolling in the hay more than fighting."

Shiennah gritted his teeth, yet he had nothing to say to that, except to agree. They came out of the tent and prepared for the fight. The barbarians gathered round, uttering war cries and banging their swords on their shields. One of the barbarians held Irineo's chain, to prevent him from running away. But the youth had no such intention; his eyes were fixed on his lover with excitement, and he desperately was praying for her victory over the barbarian chief. The poor youth never thought what would become of them both after that. Apparently, even if Ashurran were to defeat Shiennah, she would be killed, and he along with her.

The fight began. The tall and strong barbarian pressed the woman warrior hard, dealing her blows after blows. She avoided them or parried with a dancer-like agility. Ashurran was rumored to have no peers in combat, either among women or men. Easily she avoided even the most underhanded strikes and struck in turn with the speed of lightning. Yet Shiennah was a fine warrior and a strong opponent; Ashurran had her work cut out for her. After some time both opponents were tired, wiping sweat off their foreheads. Both had blood stains on their clothes from a few minor wounds and scratches.

Shiennah said, "What miracle are you hope for, woman? Even if you manage to kill me, my braves will tear you to pieces and torture your boy to death. Forfeit the fight, and in a week I'll give you the boy back, safe and sound, with rich gifts."

"I don't need your leftovers, savage," she jeered. "Give me the boy now, and I'll let you live."

Shiennah roared and charged her, and she deflected his attack with great skill. They continued their fierce fight. Shiennah's sword nicked her hip, and Ashurran swayed. Irineo's heart sank; his hands and feet became numb with fright. But Ashurran gathered her strength, and suddenly everyone saw her sword ablaze with fire. She struck the barbarian in the chest, and her sword pierced his chain mail as if it was made of butter, running him through and sticking out of his back. Shiennah, the barbarian chief, fell to the ground dead.

The barbarians raised their swords, yelling. But no one dared attacking first. Everyone saw how great a swordsman Ashurran was. Also the very sight of her was terrible: her eyes gleaming fiercely, a burning sword in her hand, and she was so much like a goddess of war incarnate. When the braves overcame their fear and stepped closer, the night sky was suddenly ablaze with flaming arrows.

"That's the High King's army!" someone cried out, and everybody else joined in. There is no need to say that first 'someone' was Ashurran.

Irineo snatched his guard's dagger, cut his hand holding his chain, and was free. He run to Ashurran and pressed his back to hers, brandishing his dagger.

"We will die together," he said resolutely.

Ashurran laughed. "I rode all day not to my death, or yours. We don't die today, my treasure."

Flaming arrows continued to fall all around them, and a few barbarians' tents caught fire. The barbarians rushed to the edge of the forest surrounding their camp, in order to repel the attack of the High King's army. None of them suspected those arrows were shot by Ashurran's outriders, who were only three dozen strong. Hidden in the forest, they run about shooting arrows from different places, and it seemed they were thousands. In the commotion Ashurran and Irineo got out of the camp, killing the barbarians left and right, and no one could stop them.

In the morning the whole army came to Furlong, and Ashurran assumed command once again. She attacked the barbarians and put them to rout. They took flight leaving their supplies and loot behind.

That was how Ashurran won not only the field, but the sympathies of the Arheezans also. She never bragged about it, but everyone knew how she risked her life to save the king's son and defend his honor. Upon returning to the city of Arheeze, Ashurran dethroned the king by the High King's decree and made Irineo king, although he was only sixteen at the time. There were many dissatisfied with this decision, but the woman general laughed at their reasoning, "His father the old king almost handed Arheeze over to the barbarians. Do you really think his son could do any worse? He wouldn't parley with the barbarians, that's for sure!"

At the end the Arheezans accepted their young king, especially seeing as Irineo turned out to be a sensible and capable ruler. He often asked the esteemed citizens for help, and they were happy to advise him. His rule was peaceful and happy, for the barbarians never again threatened Arheeze's borders, remembering Ashurran and the lesson she taught them.

Having spent a year in Arheeze, the High King's army marched back. It was hard for Irineo to part with Ashurran. He had been crazy in love with her all that time. The sleeves of his dress were drenched in tears. At parting Irineo gave Ashurran the same silver hairpin with sapphire that he was wearing at the night when they first met. He said, "This is for you, you don't have to send it to me. If you happen to need any help, I'll know it in my heart and come running to your rescue, whenever you are, whoever your enemies are, even if they are the Ancient Race or the Magic Guild."

Ashurran was moved to tears, a rare case for her indeed. She embraced the young king tightly and said, "I wish you happiness, long life and a lovely wife."

And her every word came true. Irineo had lived in people's memory as an example that Ashurran could be reckless and self-forgetful in the name of love.