2.01. Of Yunan (with map)

Ashurran stood on the hilltop and looked around her. As far as her sight could reach there were green meadows, tilled fields, blooming gardens, shady groves stretched. Sweet smell of a warm spring day reigned in the air. That blessed land was called Solkh. To the west the kingdoms of Falaris, Arheeze, Kiaran, Aolaigho, Verlow lay, and free cities of Lahor, Ydzaan and Lamassa, and islands of Belg and Cistra also in the Falkidian Sea.

Five hundred leagues northward the Haelghira Mountains towered reaching the clouds. In its foothills wild barbarians dwelt. Five hundred leagues southward the impassable swamps begun. Eastward there was nothing except the mysterious ancient woods called the Great Forest. There were plenty of tales told about that forest, but no one knew just how much truth was to them.

That country was called Yunan, and it took over nearly the whole continent of Pandeya, stretching from the mountain ranges of the North to the swamps of the South

That country was called Yunan, and it took over nearly the whole continent of Pandeya, stretching from the mountain ranges of the North to the swamps of the South. Its heart and capital was Kassandana. He who sat on Kassandana's throne was acknowledged as the High King of Yunan and was due tribute from every land. Many kings fought over the High King's crown, and there were times when it would change its owner thrice a year. Internecine strives were tearing the country apart. Only under the threat of barbarians from the North attacking the warring kings would unite for a while.

That country was boiling as a cauldron over fire, and no one knew whatever meal was cooked in it and whenever it would be ready.

In the meantime the land of Yunan was bountiful and provided mortals and immortals with everything they were in need for. The fertility of the land was plentiful and inexhaustible. There were fields and forests and pastures in abundance, and sweet water, and salt, and ores, and precious gems, and fish and game, and fruits of all sorts.

Although the most amazing thing in Yunan was the prevalence of magic and other wonders and mysteries. Magic scrolls and amulets were no treasures of the rich, no secrets of the sorcerers. They were widely sold in every market, and sometimes pretty cheap, depending on the kind of magic involved. Often a peasant would plough his field with neither a horse nor an ox, but with an enchanted plough. And a wandering magician would perform at a tavern, showing his magic skills for a few coins.

That world just brimmed with magic, like a spring with life-giving water. Miracles and wonders were daily occurrences, and lots of marvelous creatures dwelt there who were only distant kin to humans: angels and demons, dragons and fairies, spirits and ghosts, shapeshifters and witches. The people of Yunan believed in One God the Creator and prayed to him in sickness and health, in joy and sorrow. But they didn't build any temples considering a human heart the greatest temple of all. Except the One God, they worshipped the Lesser Gods also, heralds and executors of his will, and asked them for help in their everyday life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The map of Yunan (which was the main part of the continent of Pandeya at the time) was made by Satty, many thanks, it's beautiful, and nice touch with the dragons XD