Self-Monitoring

"People generally know what they are fleeing from but not what they are in search of"

Have you ever been in a dilemma as to which group to join? After walking into a roomful of people, your answer may depend on whether you are high or low in self-monitoring. The concept of self-monitoring is important to positive thinking and personality development. This refers to how much people monitor (observe, regulate and control) the image of themselves they display to others in public.
Are you in control of your 'self'?
The following self-monitoring scale is designed by the author to approximately measure your self-monitoring behaviour. Respond to each statement, positively or negatively, but honestly. Remember honesty is your key to success.
1. I would probably make a good actor. Yes/No
2. I have never been good at games. Yes/No
3. I am not always the person I appear to be. Yes/No
4. In a group I am rarely the centre of attention.
Yes/No
5. I guess I put on a show to impress and entertain others. Yes/No
6. At a party, I let others keep the jokes and stories going. Yes/No
7. I am keenly interested in the actions of others.
Yes/No
8. I speak my mind out no matter who is listening.
Yes/No
9. I am flexible and adaptable. Yes/No
10. I do not like to be flexible from situation to situation. Yes/No
11. I have well-defined roles. Yes/No
12. I identify myself in terms of my beliefs, emotions, values and personality. Yes/No
13. My friends are mostly knowledgeable in various areas. Yes/No
14. All my friends are alike in certain basic ways.
Yes/No
15. I am highly concerned about my outer appearance.
Yes/No
16. My wardrobe is less varied. Yes/No
17. For a life partner my criterion is beauty. Yes/No
18. For a life partner my criterion is personality. Yes/No
19. I have the ability to carry on an affair with two people at the same time. Yes/No
20. I believe that there is only one real love for a person.
Yes/No
21. I prefer jobs where my role is very clearly defined.
22. I prefer jobs where I can 'just be myself. Yes/No Now give a point of 1 to each Yes and 0 points to each No. Select the odd questions (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21) and total their score. This will give you your score against high self-monitoring. Select the even questions (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22) and total their score. This will give you your score against low self-monitoring.

High self-monitoring
If your score lies between 0-6 you are very low on monitoring; between 7-9 you are low; between 10-15 average; between 16-18 high and between 19-22 you are very high on self-monitoring.

Low self-monitoring
If your score lies between 0-6 you are not a very low self-monitor; between 7-9 you are not a low self-monitor; between 10-15 you are an average low self-monitor; between 16-18 you are high on low self-monitor and between 19-22 you are very high on low self-monitor.

Some of us are high self-monitors, who are very sensitive to situations and expectations. High self-monitors like to ask, "Who does this situation want me to be, and how can I be that person?" In contrast, low self-monitors are less interested in controlling the impression they make. Such people seek to faithfully express what they really think and feel. It is as if they want to know,
"Who am I, and how can I be me in this situation?"

The way people define what they regard as me has an impact on their lives and behaviour. Persons high in self-monitoring take a flexible approach to defining themselves. They are very interested in their public image. Low self-monitors, on the other hand, try to accurately present their beliefs and principles no matter what the situation is.
Now that you have measured yourself on the self-monitoring scale, its time to know yourself better.
Detailed ahead are the characteristics of high and low self-monitors.

(Characteristics of self-monitors)

(High self-monitors)

They are keenly interested in the actions of others and in trying to 'read' their motives, attitudes and traits.
Presumably, high self-monitors do this so that they will know how to present themselves to a particular person, such as a date. They are also flexible and adaptable. High self-monitors tend to declare who they are by listing their roles and memberships. They choose friends who are skilled or knowledgeable in various areas. They also tend to have specific friends for specific activities. They are concerned with outer appearances and choose their clothes, hairstyle, jewellery, and so forth, to project an image. They select their partner on the basis of outward appearance. They believe it is possible to love two people at the same time. People high on self-monitoring prefer jobs where their role is very clearly defined.