Chapter 1 | Crushing Varsity

Friday, November 13th
Location: JV Locker room

The locker room boomed with energy after the tough but successful game against Varsity. The final score of 1-0 and successful stop of the puck from Banks was all the indication their Coach needed to know that it had been a great season. They didn't get to the playoffs but his team's voice had been heard by anyone who had doubted them.

Ducks, Coach yells over the noise as Ana's head turn.

I am so proud of all of you, he looks at his team. Remember today because.. he points out the door.. not one of them can tell you you don't belong here. You all came together and fought to the very end. Though some of you may be on Varsity next season you will always be a Duck.

It hadn't sunk into the team that this would be their last game all together. Connie wiped a tear from her face as Guy held her close. They had played on the same team since District 5. Even though they knew it was coming they hadn't realized it was today. Anastasia went to grab her duffel as she changed out of her uniform.

Y'all got plans for winter break? Dwayne asked trying to uplift their mood.

Going back to Florida to see family. Russ says as he zips his duffel.

What about you shortcake? Dwayne asks.

Everyone looks around.

Whose shortcake, Fulton whispers as Dean sends a shrug back.

I'm staying with my aunt in Manhattan. Ana closes her duffel rechecking there's nothing in her locker. It was so quiet they could hear Varsity complaining.

I can't believe we lost to those freaks. Rick says.

Ana turns around. Why are you looking at me like that?

She's from Manhattan remember, Julie says.

Everyone goes back to cleaning out their lockers as they say goodbye to the team and make study plans before finals.

......

Later that night, Anastasia sits with books scattered across the bed and all her English notes open. She picks up her pen and writes down her Final English notes she can use to help pass her test. Their a faint knock on the door as Ana's mother Elizabeth walks into her room.

She looks at her daughter buried deep into her notes as she puts down a snack on her bedside table.

Thanks mom she glances up from her book for a split second.

You're welcome, also Claire is calling tonight for you.

She smiles as memories flood back into her mind of spending time with her aunt. As her mom leaves the room her phone starts to ring.

Hello, Ana says through her phone.

You put notes about how to correctly form a haiku right. I always mess them up and..

Charlie breathe in and out

I'm calling Banks

Wait...

Charlie you've called me just..

Ana is on the line too.

Ana hadnt talked to Banks since that day at the lake. She had been trying to avoid Banks and Portman for as long as possible.

Hi Ana nervously greeted Banks.

Hi he replied.

What's wrong Charlie? You're freaking out and it's making me nervous.

Yeah, you called four times in the last hour.

Did you write poetry notes on her cheat sheet for English.

Yes, they both said together.

And Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth.

You mean the toil and trouble thing?

Ana did a mental face palm. Rather she still had feelings for Dean and Adam could wait. She could not let the best forward and her captain fail now. Not if they wanted to be on the team next year. She was sure Adam would be okay; but she knew Charlie was at a B for the class. They needed at least a B average in every class due to Coach Orion's rules.

Just put what houses they came from and things that may actually come up on the test.
That's what I did and any vocabulary that was taught. I don't have many notes on Macbeth but I'll lend them to you.

Can I borrow those to, Adam asked.

Really? Ana rolled her eyes.

I didnt take many notes on that either, it couldn't hurt to check our notes together.

Ask Charlie to give you my notes when he's done.

Thank you, Charlie said. You just saved me from failing.

It's no problem. I've got to go now. Ana clicks the red phone icon.

She takes a bite out of the homemade bread her mom left chewing with her eyes closed. Her phone rings again.

Charlie you're going to do fine, I'll give..

Whose Charlie?

Oh I'm sorry Aunt Claire I thought you were Charlie.

Mhmm and Charlie is?

Honestly Aunt Claire he's just the captain of my hockey team.

Is that all he is?

Yes I swear, Ana laughs. Anyway how are you? I can't wait to be in Manhattan soon.

I'm doing fine. I wanted to call to let you know Isaac will be picking you up on December 1st at JFK. I sent you the flight information.

Okay thank you.

I have to go but I'll see you soon.

Love you.

Love you too.