Chapter 4 | London Meets Manhattan

Friday, November 20th
Anastasia's Bedroom

Anastasia realized that drama was eminent in her life. Every time she tried to crawl out from it's dark blanket it seemed as though the weight of it made her move slower. But she could not focus on that now. Finals started on Monday and she needed the best grades if she was going to play hockey next season and take honors classes next year. Currently, she was sat at her desk going over her notes for the Biology Final she had on Monday. Grinding her teeth she tried to focus on understanding cell forms and their differences. She loudly sighed as she ran her hand over her face and closed her eyes. I'm never going to understand this she says to herself. In an instant, there is a loud ping coming from her desktop making her jump. A message from Luke Torres is displayed on her screen.

Luke Torres👑:
Hey

Hey, what's up?

Luke Torres👑:
Hanging out with
my mates but keep
getting distracted.

What are you doing
right now?

Trying not to throw
my biology book
through the window

Luke Torres 👑:

Oh im sorry didn't
mean to distract you

You're a welcomed
distraction

Luke smiles at his phone. As his friends look at him memorized as they give each other looks.

So how's Anastasia? Theo asks Luke as he blows cigarette smoke out of his mouth.

He glances up from his phone, she's panicking over exams.

You should call her, Theo says.

It will look like you really care about her, Blaise adds.

You don't know what's happening in Minnesota. If that was my girl I would tell her she's taken before another guy could make a move on her, Matthew takes a drag from Theo's cigarette and hands it back.

He looks down at his phone reading the last message Ana sent.

Luke Torres👑:
I'll have to distract
you more often then (:

Lol okay

Is he flirting with me? Anastasia skims over the text. She had not thought about Luke in that way for a long time. She looks at Luke's profile picture on her screen and smiles remember the first time she saw him.

-Flashback-

She hadn't seen him around till the summer before their 8th grade year. She was walking through the garden, of her favorite park, listening and singing along to her favorite music, when she was disturbed by a boy staring at her. She had never seen him before which was weird, because her family was well connected to the families in her neighborhood.

She decides to go introduce herself when her favorite country song comes on. Just one more song then I'll go say hi. Three minutes had passed enough time for her to calm down. When she finally had the courage to look in his direction again he was gone. She shrugged it off and went home.

A week later, she returned again with Mush and Blink as they were planning Jack's birthday. Ana scanned the park and saw Luke with another boy with curly brown hair. This was her chance to say hi or for him to approach her. She looked at him again as their eyes connected and he smiled at her. She quickly looked away and went back to planning Jack's birthday.

We should go skating or go bowling for his birthday. That way all of us can go. Ana suggest to Blink and Mush.

That would be... Kid Blink began to say when he was interrupted.

Hi.. they heard in front of them as they look up seeing Luke standing there. Ana looked at him as Mush subtly kicked her foot.

Hi, she replied with her best smile.

I thought I would come over and introduce myself. I'm Luke. Luke Torres. What your name?

I'm Anastasia and this is Mush and Kid Blink.

I don't think he came over here to be introduced to us Blink whispers to Mush. He responds with a chuckle.

They kept looking at each other and Luke smirks.

Hey mush weren't you just telling me we needed to go see Conlon.

Oh yeah, he agreed. We will see you later Ana Mush says as they got up and walked off. They give her a thumbs up.

She hides her face blushing as they look at her friends. I'm sorry about them.

It's okay, I wanted to talk to you alone anyway. Luke sits next to her. So whose the party for?

My friend Jack. He's turning fourteen so we wanted to throw him a party.

Okay, how old are you, Luke asked.

Thirteen, you?

I'm thirteen too.

Are you from here? You sound different from alot of the people here.

No, I'm from London. I'm here for the summer.

Hi, sorry Luke we have to go, his curly hair friend said.

Okay, well it was nice to meet you Anastasia

It was nice to meet you too.

They begin to walk away. Did you ask her for her number.

I forgot. His friend face palms and rolls his eyes. We'll go ask for it idiot, before I do.

Luke walks back to her. I was wondering if I could get your number. I'm not sure when I'll be back to the garden.

Of course. She smiles and they swap phones putting their number in.

I'll text you later beautiful. Luke says sending her a wink as he catches up to his friend.

-End of Flashback-

Ever since that moment they met every time he was in New York and he constantly texted her. Unfortunately, the text messages became less and less in the middle of her 8th grade year when he started dating Sophie. Sophie didn't like how much they texted; which was made obvious every time the three hung out with each other. Ana missed Luke a lot. Thankfully him and Sophie broke up. This meant they would be able to hang out more; making her even more excited for winter break.