Chapter 5 | Distractions of the Heart

Monday, November 23rd
Eden Hall Academy

The first day of finals. Not a great feeling when she had to deal with drama with Banks and Conway. Unfortunately, that's the life that she has as of right now. Luke had made it bearable; he was always there when she needed to distress. It felt as though the missing year of friendship was starting to matter less and less. As she walked to her Freshman English class for her first exam her phone vibrated in her pocket. A text message from Luke was waiting to be opened. She clicked on the message as her screen brightens.

Luke Torres 👑:
Good luck on your
exams 🌹

Thanks (:

Luke Torres 👑:
What exam do you have
first?

English Lit mostly on
Shakespeare

Luke Torres 👑:
One fairer than my love?
the all-seeing sun
Ne'er saw her match since
first the world begun.

What?

Luke Torres 👑:
Romeo and Juliet

You didn't just
quote Romeo and
Juliet to me

Do you do that
with all the girls
you talk to?🤔

Luke Torres👑:
No, only you 😏

Anastasia could not help but read the text over and over again till the bell rung. As the final bell rang she quickly put her phone away and took out her cheat sheet and a number 2 pencil, blocking out all unwanted distractions around her.

...

After a very heavy 45 minutes they were granted a small break. She stood up stretching out her worries as the picture Luke sent her engulfs her mind. In this moment her heart became troubled. She knew their friendship was delicate and healing. His friendship meant more to her than a relationship, but she couldn't deny how she felt talking to him everyday either. She sighed as the teacher began to hand out the last portion of the test. As the tip of her pencil touched the paper a buzzing noise filled the quiet room.

All phones need to be turned off, her English teacher said scanning through the room.

Her hand flew over her pocket trying to muffle the noise as it vibrated again. Banks looked at her snickering as the teacher walked down her aisle. She tried to gain concentration, on her paper in front of her, answering the question to the best of her ability. Forty -five minutes flew by as she quickly finished her thoughts. She sighed as she walked to the front of the classroom turning in her essay.

I'm glad that's over, Charlie said to Banks not even thanking her.

You're welcome, she snide remarks knowing if it wasn't for her notes it would have been harder for them.

Thanks, they replied as Charlie sat her notes on her desk and walked away.

She rolls her eyes looking in their direction as she begins to leave.

Wait, Ms. Vlanterrin. The teacher calls from the front of the class.

She walks to the front, yes?