Chapter 3 | Is it a Game or is it Love?

Monday, November 16th
The Lake

Banks sits at their bench, the same bench Ana broke his heart, as he constantly wipes his hand on his pants. His blue eyes dart from the direction of the park to the end of the sidewalk constantly. His eyes gaze to his watch which read at 6:00. She doesn't love me, she's not going to show up. I don't even know why I tried. He sits there watching families and teenagers walk by glancing and smiling at him. His smile doesn't reach his eyes. He glances at his watch now reading 6:10. His heart begins to feel dull. I thought she liked me maybe she changed her mind. But I love her. She's not worth it his brain replies. She is worth it. At 6:20 Adam pulls out his phone trying to get his mind off of Ana. He decided if she didn't show in the next ten minutes he would try and leave everything he felt for her at this bench. A text message popped up on his phone.

Charlie:
Did she come?

No.

Do you want me to come
to the lake or do you want
to come my house. We can order
some pizzas and watch hockey.

Sure thanks

Adam stands up and starts to walk to Charlie's house. He always loved going there due to the son-mother dynamics between Charlie and Casey. He didn't get the warm feeling of family when he was home. It was always school and hockey and being the best. If he didn't receive what his parents believe was the best position in hockey or he said something slightly off they would yell at him, without hearing his side of the story. He loved his parents but it seemed different at the Conway house.

Casey went to the door as a loud knock echoed through her home. She looked through the door seeing Adam standing there. She opens the door.

Hi honey, how are you? She lets Adam pass her.

I've been better.

Oh no what happened?

Adams eyes begin to warm as he sits on the couch.

Charlie, can you come here?

There are loud footsteps coming down the hallway when they abruptly stop. Brown eyes scan the living room seeing his best friend hurt. He goes to sit next to him.

Hey Adam you okay?

I just don't understand why she doesn't feel the same way. She could have text me or called me. But she didn't show up or text me at all. He puts his hands in his pocket breathing deeply.

She looks between her son and Banks. You're gonna be okay. First loves are always the hardest. I'm here if you need to talk. Casey walks into the kitchen making Adam his favorite hot chocolate.

....

Meanwhile there is a knock on the Banks door. Mrs. Banks stands there with flour on her apron.

Hi, Mrs Banks is Adam here?

He's not here but I'll let him know you came to see him.

Thank you. Ana walks down the driveway way calling him but doesn't receive an answer. Where is he? She walks to Charlie's house.

Meanwhile, Charlie and Casey have helped Adam calm down and take his mind off of it. Ana hears the bright laughter of Adam. She listen in as she has not heard him laugh in a very long time. Ana takes a deep breath as she brings her knuckles to the white front door, knocking on it three times. She hears footsteps on the other side as the door opens revealing a now angry Charlie Conway.

What do you want Ana? He closes the door behind him.

I came to talk to him.

Why didn't you go to the lake to talk him then.

I was nervous Charlie. Can I please... The door opens revealing Charlie's mom.

Char.. oh hi Anastasia. How are you?

Not great Casey. Is Adam here?

Yes I'll go get him. She returns inside and an instant Adam is standing there with his hands in his pockets.

Ana looks at him, can we talk?

I don't have anything to say to you Vlanterrin.

Please she says wanting to grab his hand but deciding against it. He nods his head as Charlie goes inside. Adam stays quiet looking at Ana.

I'm sorry I didn't show up, I was nervous.

He shakes his head not believing a word.

What? She asked him.

You were nervous and you think that's a good reason to not show up.

Ana bites her lip trying not to cry. No but I didn't know what to say.

Are you going to admit you have feelings for me to my face or are we still playing games?

It's not that easy.

Being honest is hard for you, huh? You had no problem telling Julie and Charlie you still care about me. But telling me is too hard for you. Adam folds his arms looking directly at Ana. Or are you having fun playing games?

Adam you don't understand.

He chuckles, right I couldn't possibly understand how it feels to be with someone else while my heart loves someone who has constantly played games with me. When I told you I understood how you felt and told you I love you anyway.

She bites her lip. Well I'm sorry, I'm sorry I put you through this for months. I'm sorry you feel like I don't care. Maybe it's good we have winter break soon so we don't have to see each other.

Yeah maybe, Adam says not meeting her eyes.

Guess I'll see you around then. Ana walks away as Adam goes back inside. He sits next to Charlie.

You okay? Charlie asked his best friend.

No, but I don't want to talk about it. He grabs the remote turning the movie on trying to not think about her. He felt the door closing on a possible relationship with her; but after months of chasing her he was done.