BEST CONCEPT WINNERS + REVIEWS

Congratulations to all the winners!

I copy and pasted usernames right from your forms, so if I tagged anyone wrong, please let me know so I can fix it asap! Copy and paste errors happen, so if you don't see yourself in the reviews, please let me know.

Please do not argue with me. Remember this is for fun and all personal opinion. I don't give harsh feedback, just honest feedback. You're of course entitled to your own opinion and you can disagree with everything I say if you want, but that doesn't mean you should be rude to me. Remember I'm judging by myself, so please be respectful. Ask questions and discuss, but please no hate or arguments! Remember I'm giving a reader's perspective.

The reviews are specific but not as detailed as my main reviews because best concept is one of the mini categories.

I say that but they're still over 6k words long 💀💀💀

If you have any questions, please let me know! Prizes will be distributed soon! Best writing style and best protagonist are the next two categories I'm judging.

ATTENTION: My bestie, Seamlesslove, just started a new contest called The Wings Awards. She is an excellent judge and host who, like me, is dedicated to giving quality feedback and a good experience to all participants. Oh, and her prizes absolutely slap. K-pop fanfics and original stories are both allowed in it, so you should go check it out! Just please make sure you carefully read the rules. She's doing a lot for the community, so please make her life a lil easier by following the rules and payments before submitting an application!

3rd Place

Slice of Death by Artemis_writes25

Thoughts:

This is an absolutely fantastic concept with such an intriguing story it hooked me right from the blurb. The whole concept of Death being a mother and father to these kids and physically appearing as a mom or dad depending on the kids is really really interesting. In general, the entire village and the interactions the kids have with Death subverts expectations in a natural way that doesn't feel like you're forcing it for shock value. Death him/herself is such a fun character to read about, and I really loved it.

This may be the concept that personally appealed to me the most, and I think it was such a creative idea. I'd be curious to know how you came up with it and what the process of fleshing out this idea was like. Seriously, kudos. Really interesting concept that will pull anyone in just by reading the blurb.

I have a couple of critiques.

There is way too much exposition in the first chapter, and within that exposition, it jumps around a lot. It goes from Death being a parent to talking about Zola to talking about Remi's place in the village. Almost the entire chapter is exposition, and while the concept is interesting, the first chapter's job is to hook readers in, so if it's all exposition, it can be tiring to read and unengaging. You tell us all there is to know about the village and don't give us a chance to figure it out on our own. I would recommend doing more showing over telling and using the first chapter as an opportunity to introduce the plot and the characters' relations to said plot. Of course you can give exposition and worldbuilding, but I would strongly recommend not doing it to the point where it's the entire chapter.