Chapter One

AUTHOR'S NOTE: this is the sequel to Henry Rider: Clown Hunter

AUTHOR'S NOTE: this is the sequel to Henry Rider: Clown Hunter. If you haven't read that already, you should do so before reading this: https://www.wattpad.com/story/286997009-henry-rider-clown-hunter

Chapter One

"Sticky Mickey. The Rhombus. Pie Master Supreme of the Manure Nebula."

I paused to shovel a spoonful of Chocolate Frosted Cocobutts (with marshmallow turds) into my mouth. The crunch sounded like a fat guy in rubber boots walking through a swamp made of potato salad.

My name is Henry Rider, but you might know me better as the Maiam Hunter, the Blue Haired Butcher, the Clown Crusher, or, if you live in a small town somewhere in Iowa, the Bare-Butted Land Squid.

I...don't like to talk about that one.

"Donkeyface McScuttlebutt the Sixteenth," I went on. "Chicken Skittles. He Who Must Not Be Shaved. Larry."

Picking up my bowl, I drank everything that was left with a magnificently irritating SLURRRRRP, and then slammed it triumphantly back down on the table. Then, after letting out an award winning burp, I looked across the table to see what Ethan thought of the terrible nicknames I'd been suggesting.

But he wasn't even listening to me.

"I dunno," he said, absentmindedly stirring his corn flakes with his spoon, "I've just never been into sports. What about you?"

"I totally understand. Today's sports are so boring," answered the violet-eyed girl sitting beside him. Her dark hair fell to cover her right eye, but the way her left eye rolled was unmistakable. "One of my old masters always went to the gladiator fights, and I would watch from inside my core. Now that was exciting!"

Ethan blinked. "Gladiators? As in, from ancient Rome?"

"I told you, I'm older than I look," Jade said with a smirk. "Would you believe me if I said I've ridden on the backs of dinosaurs?"

"I don't..." he paused. "Have you really?"

"Ex-CUSE me," I interrupted. "I am trying to do something important here!"

Ethan turned to give me a blank look, as if he'd completely forgotten I was there. "Huh? You are?"

Beneath the table, I clenched my spoon hard enough to bend it in half.

Easy, easy, I thought to myself. This is good. This is what you wanted to happen.

That was true, but watching Ethan make googoo eyes at Jade still curdled my girdles. Yes, I had pushed Ethan and Jade to grow closer. Yes, I had hoped that they could help each other out of their shells. Yes, I should have been happy that that was exactly what had happened.

But that was before I'd fallen in love with Ethan myself.

Why can't you look at me that way? I thought glumly as Ethan went back to his conversation with Jade. Sure, Jade is beautiful, smart, funny, and a freaking genie, but what does she have that I don't?