Strangers

AN: This was one of my pending short stories back in 2018. Now that I'm cleaning up my drafts, I'm publishing this because I'm pretty sure I won't be able to finish this. So this is just a super short one-shot, no proper ending. Don't be disappointed. I'd rather show a snippet than delete it.

----

"Okay, we're here," Dinah Jane side-eyed her friend, Ally, who was sitting on the passenger seat of her brand-new Lexus. "Do you remember what you have to do?"

Ally turned to her side, facing the window so she could roll her eyes without Dinah seeing her, because, as much as she wanted to tell Dinah that she could kiss her butt, she was raised by her parents to not say anything bad to people even if they're being annoying. She has also been reminded numerous times as a kid that rolling one's eyes is not something a well-bred person would do.

But she could be rebellious, too, don't dare underestimate her, as she recalled one time when she purposely didn't take her vitamins out of spite then lied to her mom and said she did. She was so proud of herself back then, knowing that her vitamins B12, C, and Iron, which she quickly slipped under her pillow once her mom momentarily turned her back to get her glass of water, remained hidden while her mom checked her mouth to see if she has swallowed them.

So, yes, Ally Brooke Hernandez was not entirely a goody-two-shoes like Dinah and Normani always called her. Just like now, she felt like rolling her eyes, so, she did, even when her conscience was telling her it's rude. The polite thing to do was at least hide it from the person who made you wanna do it, Ally rationalized that would make it less sinful. She probably only had to say Hail Mary three times this time, instead of five for a face-to-face rolling of eyes.

She sighed deeply, and said, "I know what y'all wanted me to do, I'm not an imbecile. The question is why do I have to do it!? Why does it always have to be me doing all your dirty work?" Ally whined.

She almost felt like stomping her feet, but she was taught by her mom that she shouldn't be acting like a child throwing tantrums, especially now that she's of legal drinking age -- officially an adult.

Dinah flipped her long wavy dirty blonde hair in annoyance, as if she was tired of having to explain things to Ally over and over, and grumbled, "I told you like ten times already --"

"No, you didn't! You called me up an hour ago, waking me from my beauty sleep, and told me once! You interrupted my sleep, Dinah, how rude are you? To think I was dreaming that Jesus was talking to me! Do you know how rare it is for God to visit people in their sleep?! I'm pretty sure not even Pope Francis has been graced by the presence of the lord in his slumber." Ally complained in a high-pitched voice.

Their other friend, Normani, who remained unbothered at the backseat and obviously distracted because she was chatting with her current boy-toy, decided to finally pipe in.

"Ally, c'mon, you're the only adult among us. Only you can do this. Jesus could visit you some other time, he'll understand." Normani pleaded.

Then she smiled when she heard another ding from her phone, and saw that Val has sent her a pic of himself shirtless. That was enough for her to drown out the arguing that ensued between Dinah and Ally and texted him back.

"Oh, I definitely am the only adult in this car. I don't even know why I'm still friends with you guys, you're horrible people." Ally grumbled.

"Oh poo, you know you love us." Normani snickered, not even bothering to look up from phone screen.

"Why are you still even complaining? You already agreed to do this when I picked you up!" Dinah said. She rummaged her purse to take out a wad of cash to give to Ally.