First Night

Hank is 35 and Connor is 24

Hank watched his new roommate walk up the driveway with a single suitcase and a wagon, containing two or three small boxes, behind him. it looked almost pitiful. Hank frowns slightly, looking around.

"that it? you got more somewhere? storage locker we need to empty or something?" Hank asks. Connor looks away a moment, before shaking his head. he looks somewhere between ashamed and embarrassed.

"this is all I own. when my.... adopted brother threw me out, he only gave me five minutes... I grabbed important things only..." Connor murmurs. Hank nods slightly. "I... I can't pay you rent yet, I haven't received my first check yet... I'm sorry." Connor says softly.

"I'm not worried about rent Connor." Hank says firmly, waving it off. "its not like I don't already own this house." Hank shrugs.

"but I-" Connor tries.

"not worried about it." Hank says firmly. Connor nods slightly, looking around.

"thank you again." Connor murmurs. "where do you want me?" Connor asks. Hank moves and lets him into the house.

"c'mon, cleaned out the garage for you." Hank says, nodding towards the garage. Connor follows him.

"thank you... again... you didn't have to help me..." Connor says softly.

"a DPD rookie, homeless in the streets in the middle of winter? no. its wrong." Hank says firmly, leading him further into the house. he frowns. "Sumo, move." Hank says. Connor looks around Hank curiously. the giant St. Bernard yawnks up at Hank.

"ah, infamous Sumo." Connor says, smiling at he St. Bernard. Sumo stretches yawning.

"not afraid of dogs, are ya?" Hank asks. Connor shakes his head no quickly.

"I love dogs, I was just not expecting.... him." Connor says. Hank pats Sumo's head gently as the pup passes him to sniff Connor. the entire office had heard of the dog, but most assumed he was a small dog, no one knew his actual breed.

"he's a good boy. won't hurt you, old dog but a good dog. in his golden years." Hank smirks. he watches Connor pat Sumo's head as the dog sniffs up his legs.

"Sumo, you probably don't want to sniff me right now, I... I smell. " Connor says, looking away. he looks utterly embarrassed at the notion. Hank remembers Gavin telling Connor he smells so bad he wouldn't share a patrol car with him.

"you're so fucking disgusting! you smell like a garbage can! what the fuck Fowler, I'm NOT working with this disgusting rat smelling bastard! learn some fucking personal hygine! god you're stinking up the whole fucking station! anyone got any Febreeze? smelly over here is burning my nostrils!"

Hank had found Connor in the bathroom an hour later trying to rinse off in the sink.

"what are you doing?" Hank asks. Connor shakes his head, looking tearful as he scrubs his arms down.

"he's right. I smell. I haven't showered in probably a week." Connor mutters, wiping at his face.

"Connor? what do you mean you haven't showered in a week?" Hank frowns, nose wrinkling.

Hank now realizes the look of panic across Connors face had been because he was afraid of his secret getting out.

fear and panic flashes over Connors face before he shakes his head, looking away.

"waters out... burst pipe. they've been working on it, but... I-I can't afford a hotel room. I-I've just been spraying down with deodorant and hoping no one would say anything but Gavin is right." Connor chokes, desperately trying to wipe at his face. "I smell and I haven't washed my uniform in a week so that adds to the smell. I'm so sorry, I know I smell. Captain Fowler has already talked to me about it-" Connor rambles.