Markus

the ride home is silent, Connor leaning against the window feeling sick still, hugging his knees to his chest. Hank keeps glancing at the rookie, trying to get his words together. he feels guilty. Connor had been so upset, Hank had to pull over twice for him to puke. the younger man is really not happy with his current situation.

Hank pulls up to the house and parks, looking over hesitantly at Connor. he sighs, watching Connor unbuckle.

"hey kid, look, I know you're mad at me," Hank starts. Connor glances at him then away again.
"but it had to be done, Connor. I couldn't let him keep hurting you." Hank murmurs. Connor tenses immediately and Hank frowns at him.

"you sound just like the school nurse." Connor mutters.

"huh?" Hank asks, confused.

"so, I'll tell you what I told her." Connor says. his voice is just as quiet as before.

"and whats that?" Hank ask, softly. Connor shifts in his seat, staring harder out the window.

"that I can handle it myself, so but out. you're only gonna make things worse." Connor says firmly. Hank looks confused, frowning.

"Connor, what do you mean kid?" Hank asks. Connor hugs his knees tighter.

"if you try fighting for me, I get hurt worse in the end, so don't. I can handle Gavin, I've had worse Hank. Gavin is nothing compared to the things I've had to face before. I've had worse, a lot worse. a stupid little bloody nose, I'm just fine." Connor mumbles. Hank shakes his head slightly.

"Connor-" Hank tries.

"I don't need help." Connor says firmly.

"I won't let anything like that happen to you Connor, okay?" Hank says firmly. "I will help keep you safe. you don't deserve that Connor. 'specially not from some idiot like Gavin Reed, the stupid fucker." Hank says firmly.

"I don't need you-" Connor tries.

"I'm going to fight for you." Hank says firmly. "you deserve better kid." Hank adds. Connor goes quiet, hugging his knees tighter.

"why?" Connor asks, quietly. he looks at Hank for the first time since they got in the car. "why?" he asks again.

"because, someone needs to. now what do you want for lunch?" Hank asks. Connor looks annoyed for a moment.

"I'm not hungry. I still feel sick." Connor mumbles. they get out of the car, heading for the house.

"I'll make a pizza, leave you some in case you get hungry later." Hank murmurs. Connor nods and heads for the garage. "hey, look, Connor, I'm sorry. I am really, but I don't regret it. I won't ever think about changing my mind. okay? you need someone to be in your corner, Connor. you can't stop me, okay? do you understand?" Hank asks. Connor looks over at him.

"I'm just going to get hurt in the end Hank." Connor mumbles. Hanks jaw tightens.

"I'll keep you safe kid." Hank assures. Connors whole body tenses and there's a small tremble to him.

"I've heard that before. so many times.... thats what everyone promises." Connor mumbles to himself. he rubs his wrist gently, like an old injury still hurts, before shutting the garage door.

Hank decides he needs to do more research into Connors foster life background, pull any medical, school work, foster, and disciplinary files he can find. he pops a frozen pizza in the oven and gets to work.

Hank gives up by the time the pizza is finished. all he could find was a limited medical file, 12 miles long, a list of old foster houses, and nothing more. he'll have to dig more up at work, he can't find anything else in the public record.