Epochally hated

Verlaine celebrates on the long bench in the "Red Ox", sitting between the one-eyed Francisco de Orellana and Gonzalo Pizarro, a half-brother of the New Castile viceroy Francisco Pizarro González. Everyone admires the Norman's swordsmanship. Verlaine's Japanese tales are incredible. Everyone loves him - the traitor. No one thinks what everyone should think. If you betray one, you betray them all. Almagro's followers are attacked with scorn and malice. They are driven out of their homes, their daughters humiliated. The viceroy always in the lead. Completely uninhibited.

"He was the last straw," writes Verlaine, unmoved.

On a Sunday in June 1541, the humiliated storm Pizarro's palace. Two bodyguards calmly accompany the ruler to his death. But where is Verlaine? While Pizarro dies, the survivalist slips around the next historical corner.
Verlaine's trail is not lost. He is there when the Spaniards, led by Orellana, navigate the Amazon for the first time. The river takes its name from the Amazons. The European raiders come across female warriors who are followed by insignificant men.

"They impregnate their blades and spikes with poison," writes Orellana in his diary. "They get the poison from frogs."

Orellana is in the new governor's favor. Cristóbal Vaca de Castro is more of an official than a conqueror. He will die in Spain, that says it all. No Pizarro makes it to his old homeland before a unnatural death.The murderer of so many dies a violent death himself. In the summer of 1541, Francisco Pizarro González finally succumbs to his enemies. Francisco Martín de Alcántara, a half-brother, falls at his side. Diego de Almagro alias Diego el Mozo, son of Diego de Almagro, who had been taken out of circulation by Pizarro, empowered himself as the successor of an epochal murderer. He rebels and plays the rebel in the fight against the crown. Soon the special imperial ambassador Cristóbal Vaca de Castro finally puts him in his place. Castro fulfills a delicate mission in the New World. He was to seal off the overseas departments against the colonists' high-handedness. In 1542, he declared Blasco Núñez de Vela the first governor of the newly founded viceroyalty of Peru.