𝟎𝟏𝟐. 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐫𝐨𝐫𝐲

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RORY
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter twelve,
Gilmore Girls — Season One

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter twelve, Gilmore Girls — Season One

October 8th, 2000

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ LUCY'S POV ]

ON RORY GILMORE'S SIXTEENTH BIRTHDAY, me and Dad spend the morning decorating a table in the diner to suit the birthday girl with a couple of "stupid balloons" as Dad calls them. We also spend the morning making a coffee cake which I now desperately want for my birthday in December.

     And when Rory walks into the diner with her best friend, Lane Kim, Dad glares at her and says, "Hey. Wrong table."

     "Since when is there a right table?"

     "Since the coffee cake we baked for you and the stupid balloons we blew up are at that table over there." He points towards the table at the front of the diner, right by the window, and I watch as both Rory and Lane smile.

     "You blew up balloons for me?" Her face glows with excitement.

     "Yep."

     "Oh, Luke, you old softie." I look to Dad and one side of his lip twitches, almost as if he's trying to smile but doesn't want to show it.

     "I count to three, it's gone," he threatens.

     "Thank you." Rory starts collecting her books to move towards the table but pauses when she catches my eye. "Both of you."

"Happy birthday, Rory." I watch the two best friends step away from the counter and walk off towards the table.

I look up to Dad. "You softie," I tease, nudging his arm.

"I count to three, you're dead."

I fall silent, and the door to the diner opens, the bell ringing as I look up to see Dean. I watch him glance over in Rory's direction before he places down some money on the counter, saying, "Coffee to go, please."

Dad glares at him which isn't surprising. My dad obviously hasn't met him yet, and it's clear he doesn't like any new people— new guys specifically— and when Dean says, "Hey, Lucy," my dad scowls next to me.