Day 1: Baking

In order to help Diana with her school's fundraiser, Adam and Lawrence must work together to face their hardest challenge yet: baking.

(From the Valentine's Chainshipping Week Prompt 1: Cooking/Baking)

"A bake sale?" Adam quiered, raising an eyebrow as he leaned against the fire escape, amused as he listened to his partner's plea.

Lawrence gave him an equally pointed look. Unlike Adam, he was merely poking his head out the window. With his foot or lack thereof, he didn't want to risk stumbling on the rickety platform. "Yes, it's a fundraiser for her school."

"She goes to a rich private school, how much money does it actually need?"

"It's the principle of working hard for something in return. And it sounds like a sweet idea. Pun not intended."

"No, it sounds like a recipe for disaster." He waited for a moment, before adding belatedly. "Pun intended."

Lawrence sighed. "I know, I'm not thrilled about it either."

"I can barely microwave ramen, Larry, what makes you think I'm at all qualified to help make something remotely edible for small children?" He pinched the tip of his cigarette between his thumb and index finger before taking a long drag. His eyes lit up. "Wait. Can we add edibles?"

He pinched the bride of his nose in exasperation. "We are not feeding edibles to fourth graders, Adam!"

"Hey, keep your shirt on, there can be two batches. One for the kids, one for the adults." Smoke swirled around him as he exhaled once more. He only smoked outside, since Lawrence hated it, but sometimes he moved close enough just to mess with him.

"Will you please be serious?" Lawrence asked wearily, forehead lines creasing from stress. He looked exhausted, both with work and from personal life taking a toll on him. His blond hair was even starting to see some silver streaks in his temple. "I promised Diana."

"Why would you promise her that?"

He chewed at his lip, thinking for a moment on how to answer. "Ali was usually the hands-on parent. The one who would do this sort of thing. She would go to meetings, host birthday parties, and see her piano recitals. I was always too busy with work. And um, other excuses. I found myself disappointing both Ali and Diana more than once."

Adam frowned, flicking the cigarette on the ashtray. His angry eyes spoke more volume than any words could.

"But I want to be different for their sake. Give Alison a break, and bond with Diana. Especially since we have her this weekend. I don't know, perhaps it is stupid. I don't know the first thing about bakin---"

"I'll do it." Adam said firmly.

"What? You will?" Lawrence stared at him in astonishment. "Are you sure?"

"Hell yeah I am. We'll make the best damn brownies her school has ever tasted."

"I was thinking we would bake cookies, since they're easier."

"We'll make the best damn cookies her school has ever tasted."

Lawrence laughed. "Thank you. Now, I should pick her up, speaking of which. Would you mind getting the ingredients while I'm gone?"

Adam waved him off. "You can count on me. I'm totally prepared---"

"No edibles."

"Aw."

Adam heard Diana before she even arrived, with her high pitched voice echoing through the halls. The door swung open and lo and behold, she burst in charging at full speed the moment she plopped down her My Little Pony lunch box.