Chapter 22

They slowed down to a walk once the fallen leaves turned to gravel, and they realized they were on a separate trail. They came upon a clearing of overgrown plants and an abandoned building.

 They came upon a clearing of overgrown plants and an abandoned building

Leo crouched below the grass, pulling Ro with him. "Someone could live here..." /"No way, April said the nearest neighbors were hours away. Plus look at the state of this place, Leo. It'll be okay." She crawled forward, but Leo stopped her, "We can check it out as long as we're careful. We slip out quietly the moment something seems off. Deal?" Ro nodded her head, those were good terms. "Deal."

They stayed low to the ground, scouting the parameter. Behind the house, hidden by the trees, was an abandoned greenhouse. They found an opening and Ro followed Leo's lead inside. The greenhouse was huge, as if who ever lived here had the thought to become self sustainable, but never were able to make that dream come true. The outside of the greenhouse was still in decent condition... but the inside was barren. Leo led the way into the barn.

Mice scattered as Leo pushed open the wooden door, its hinges practically crying out for oil

Mice scattered as Leo pushed open the wooden door, its hinges practically crying out for oil. It was quite spacious inside, very dark and dusty, and luckily they grew up in the sewers so they lived in worse. There was a room where the walls were lined with gardening tools, axes, and shovels. One thing was certain: nobody had come here in decades.

They explored the area, and Ro couldn't help but feel ecstatic. This is where she could spend her time for the next several weeks! She always wanted to learn to grow food, and it was like life  handed her a gift on a silver plate. Finally. 

She shot an unsuspecting Leo a smirk, and he knew he had just been volunteered for something before she even opened her mouth. For the next week, he would be restoring the rusted tools without complaint and keeping Ro company.

They headed out of the building when lunch time rolled around, following the path that had used before. They eventually made it back to the cabin and went inside to get some food, where everyone else was gathered and chatting.

Mikey: "Hey guys! Where y'all been? You almost missed lunch!"

Raph: "Yeah, Mikey almost ate your share of the grub."