Family Ties

Diamond is sitting on the couch watching television with her grandparents. Herman is watching a game show while Patricia is completing a word puzzle. She debates on getting up to grab her MP3 player, but she doesn't feel like hearing her grandparents say something about it.

Tomorrow is Sunday and she wants to do nothing more than lounge around in the house all day. She would even go to the beach, since it's a short ten minute walk from her grandparent's house.

It is too bad she has to be up bright and early to go work at the store. If her grandparents hired a manager and some more cashiers, they wouldn't even have to be at the store themselves all the time. They are getting older; surely they want to start relaxing more.

"Hey, granny? Grandaddy?" Diamond lets her thoughts take over. "How come y'all never thought about hiring help so you two won't always have to be at the store working? It be feeling too good outside to not enjoy the weather. I know it's only seven to seven, but that's still along time."

"Baby girl, that store is older than you." Herman clears his throat. "I don't want nobody helping me. I don't need help."

Patricia gives Diamond an apologizing look, almost as if she is apologizing for her husband's blunt response to Diamond's question.

Diamond decides that she will no longer bring up the topic.