Chapter 4 : Leaps of Mankind

After half an hour of banter, a seemingly senior physician entered to examine me. Patient examinations have evolved significantly. A floating drone emitted a beam of light through my body for diagnostics, displaying virtual screens with data and medication information. Gideon, the smart device by my bed, received the prescribed medicines.

Presumably, the drone  physician uses is more advanced than the one by my side. Gideon could perform tasks like monitoring, greeting, taking notes, sending alerts, and other general tasks, whereas the supposed drone could run diagnostics and algorithms on real-time data and come up with recommendations with unerring accuracy.

Apparently, Althea, a medical student about to graduate, was interning in this facility. I almost got her mixed up with a veteran doctor. He guided Althea during the examination in terminology completely alien to me.

"That was a lot to take in, wasn't it?" Aly huffed. "Not as much as it was for Althea. What's with the sudden change of mood?" I couldn't help but pry.

"She is distressed about her performance as an intern and passionate about her career. Anyways, don't you want me to fill you in on the changes in the world during your slumber?" Aly suggested cheerfully for a change of topic.

That was  a context I intended to bring up in the meantime . Aly surely is helpful in many ways.

"Sure. Try to stick to the major significant parts."

"You're about to confront a series of harsh truths. Brace yourselves," Aly warned before providing an account of past events.

In 2036, the first waves of a pandemic caused significant loss of human and animal lives. However, subsequent waves in 2054 resulted in insurmountable tragedies. Social radiation led to new skin diseases and cancers, contributing to casualties. By 2075, the global population had dwindled to 10 million, with densely populated areas becoming inhabitable.

Efforts to cure some individuals through cryosleep, similar to your situation, were often unsuccessful due to limited resources. By the present, the global population has been restored to 17 million. Humanity united to correct past mistakes and address unforeseen events.

Health awareness has risen, and high-nutrition meals are preferred by everyone. Defense divisions in many countries have shut down, making every citizen a civilian. 

Many International and national orginisations have shut down  since theu no longer served purpose. 

An international organisation Global Unity Consortium usually known as GUC was established in Ethos, a newfound island, in 2080. Its primary objective is focussing on looking after the well-being of  humans across the world.

People have taken up farming or plantations to address food scarcity, using advanced agricultural methods developed through research and development.

The internet is no longer in existence, replaced by smart devices like Gideon, interconnected with all technologies. By 2080, all devices are linked to a central source, ensuring better communication and efficiency. 

Aly concluded, "That pretty much covers it, I guess."

"What the--?" I exclaimed. It was too much to take in, even for a placid guy like me. The present world is no longer a place that shares the slightest semblance with the one I was familiar with. I suppose the situation could worsen, given how edgy it already is.