Part 3: Those that Become, Chapter 18

INPUT/...

INPUT/... gills.

Caspian saw the words, and knew the last ones came from him, but it was not with thought, but something more basic. it was like when he opened the door, but this door was deep within his mind. The door had never been there before, it was programmed to open in life threatening situations. But now it was open, it couldn't be closed. Caspian felt his body change and reform, water filled his lungs via his neck, then filtered the water back out and kept only oxygen.

As the impossible continued to let him live, he wanted the door to close. He didn't want that door open.

What...am..I?

INPUT/ fins.

The dark of the ocean still clung to him making sight nearly impossible, but even he didn't need to see to know his hands were pulling together and lengthening, the skin becoming rigid and spilling out. Suddenly he felt an uncomfortable push and then felt lighter. He knew his shoes had been pushed off by other fins.

Part of Caspian panic wildly inside his head, but the part that had opened the door put that panic to the side. There were things to be done, things that shouldn't be forgotten in the heat of the moment.

Caspian flicked his hands and feet and was propelled through the water. His sharp hearing, still sharp even underwater, told him where the whales were.

INPUT/ pupil expansion. Eyeball protrusion.

Caspian's eyes pushed out of his head, the pupils and iris growing to fill the new space. Now he could see everything.

The ocean, under the headwaters and the rolling waves, was still. The moonlight, as little as it was, was caught by Caspian's bulbous eyes. The giant forms of mammals grew sharper and larger with every second Caspian swam with a fishes grace.

How is this happening? Caspian couldn't help the thought popping out, but he pushed it aside again with the ebb and flow of his gills.

A rush of resonate sound met him with piercing strength, but Caspian didn't understand.

INPUT/ translate whale sounds. Take sample from memories.

Caspian understood the greet of the whales.

INPUT/ create whale vocal chords.

Caspian felt his throat twist and shapen, growing and tightening. With each transformation, Caspian felt the exquisite pain of his bones shifting inside of him but the door self held him until it was oven.

Hello, Caspian spoke to the whales in their song, his mouth and tongue vibrating with the deep and fluctuating sounds.

LITTLE LISTENER, WE THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD. WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? THIS IS NOT YOUR PLACE. YOU BELONG ABOVE THE WATER WORLD. The whales responded slowly and thoughtfully, surprising Caspian.

I don't know, Caspian confessed. I came to talk to you. I thought I could hear your song from the land. Even far, far away from the water.

The whales shared a sensation that went beyond Caspian traditional senses, and yet he was aware of it. The sensation passed between the whales with increasing urgecy, changing in size and shape with the 'speaker'. He knew when they'd collectively decided to share with him.

THAT IS NOT OUR SONG, LITTLE LISTENER, one of the younger whales, roughly six times Caspian's length. WE HEAR THAT SONG ALSO, BUT IT IS NOT FROM OUR KIND.

What do you mean? Caspian replied, bobbing furiously in the water with his agitation. Caspian felt the bruising on his throat from their communications. If it's not from your kind, then who sings it?