Chapter Four

I arrived in Vancouver shortly before ten in the morning. If I remember her schedule correctly, Pia would be in classes at college. She was four years younger than me, and I must admit, I was probably intolerable as an older sister. We have reconciled as adults and are courteous, if not even moderately agreeable, to each other. Now that our parents have passed, I regret we hadn't forged a closer friendship in our early years.

As I pulled into her apartment's parking lot, Lukus, her husband, was opening his hatch and about to lift out what looked like groceries. I pulled in alongside.

"Wow!" He explained. "Did you back into a tree?"

"Greetings, Luke," I said as I exited the car.

Brant bounced out of his side of the car and greeted his uncle in his usually excited manner: "Uncle Luke, the brute."

"Brant the brat," Luke said and scooped Brant into his arms, giving him one of his genuine bear hugs, or as Brant preferred, a brute hug.

"So, when did that happen?" Luke asked, inspecting the damage done to my car.

"Last night," Brant said. "Some man in a big rig hit us...twice,"

"I think we were still in Idaho," I said. "It was a long night, and I don't remember a lot from the accident."

"Stan called it vehicular assault," Brant said and looked toward me for approval. I have to admit he had a knack for words.

"Who's Stan," Luke asked.

"He was a night clerk at an all-night service station," I said. "He jerry-rigged my brake light."

"If it works," Luke said, "that's all that matters."

"I think the guy in the SUV was trying to push us off the road," I said.

"But he's the one that went off the road," Brant said. "He flipped over the guardrail. You should have seen it. The car rolled into the trees. It was cool." He made a rolling motion with his hands.

"Brant!" I scolded.

Brant and I hoisted a grocery bag from Luke's car and followed him into his apartment. As he put the food away, we talked further about my miserable adventure. Brant entered the guest room to play a game on his uncle's computer.

"I got a text late yesterday," I said. "'They're coming. Leave now.' Imagine how that made me feel."

"Like the sky is about to fall, and the house is about to explode," Luke said. "I see why you left."

"Well, it seemed like a better idea than waiting for the cops to do something about it. I've told them about other threats, and they did nothing."

"Other threats?"

"Calls mostly," I said. "Threats if I don't give them the code. "

"As in password code?" Luke asked.

"Maybe. I don't know."

Brant and I got settled in the guest room. I took a shower and put on a clean set of clothes. The bed looked very inviting. I wanted nothing more than sleep, but I didn't want to give in until I had a chance to see my sister.

She and Luke had been together for three years. Luke worked for a software security company in Portland, and Pia was a full-time student at Washington State University Vancouver, working on a master's degree in computer science. I figured long ago, even before they were an item, they were meant for each other. I envied them, especially when I realized Martin and I were like Beauty and the Beast—only the kiss of true love hadn't changed him into the prince I thought I wanted.

Pia got home late afternoon. There was a flurry of hugs, followed by casual conversation around the kitchen island as we shared a bottle of wine while preparing Brent's supper request: spaghetti, French bread, and salad. Fortunately, Luke had guessed Brent would want spaghetti, so he brought home fresh French bread.

I found Brant asleep on the couch after we had cleaned up the evening meal. Pia covered him with a blanket, and the two of us went into the guest room for a sister talk.

"I'm sure you have questions," I said as I quietly closed the door.

"I do, but I want to know how you're doing?"

I took my place beside her on the bed, both of our backs braced against the headboard, very much like our habit as teenagers. She reached for my hand, and my heart swelled the moment of our touch, and tears dropped onto my cheeks.

"Has there been any progress with the investigation?" She asked quietly.

I just shook my head. My throat tightened; my voice was held captive by the emotion of the moment. It felt like all the feelings I had held back for my son's sake were about to flood. I was afraid that my tears would fill the room if I let go.

Pia reached for a box of tissues from which I gladly pulled several and commenced dabbing beneath my eyes.

"The police aren't saying anything," I said and sniffed. "I suppose that's protocol, but it's no comfort for the family."

"I saw your car, and Luke brought me up to date. Do you have any injuries?"

"I don't think so. I have a headache, but that could be from extreme fatigue."

"Maybe. You may have some sore muscles tomorrow. Anyway, I'm glad that it wasn't you who rolled down the hill into the trees. Do you have any ideas what you're going to do next?"

"Events surrounding Martin's death have nearly brought our company down. We've lost contracts. We barely have enough to pay our employees, much less us. I think Thad will be okay, but Martin cleaned out our bank accounts. I have several thousand in cash but nothing to speak of in my debit account."

"Do you have any idea what he was up to?"

"Usually, one can follow the money, but it wasn't transferred. He took it all in cash. Can you imagine that?"

"Cash?" Pia thought a moment. "I can only think the worst."

"I know, right? Legit business is done through banks."