Chapter Forty-One

Micky entered the living room through a slider. Ducain rose from his chair, and the two went into the kitchen to talk. Their subdued conversation lasted for several minutes, and then Ducain went upstairs without so much as a glance in my direction. Micky entered into the living room and sat in the chair Ducain had occupied. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and told RJ to check on the others. Without a word, RJ pushed off the liquor cabinet and took the stairs to the basement. I surmised he was on his way to see Brant and Liam.

I've never been a patient woman. I bore easily, letting my thoughts and emotions engage in a dance that eventually lures me in one direction or another. Waiting an hour for someone to do something was like staying too long in the tub, waiting for the alarm to tell me it was time to get out.

"Can I see my son now," I asked.

"You can when Ducain says so," Micky said without looking up from his phone.

Micky just sat there for the longest time. For a while, I entertained myself by playing the game when-will-you-see-me as I stared at him. But boredom developed quickly because he didn't know or care I was playing the game.

Then I noticed Ducain had left my phone on the table.

Ducain's domino speech would lead one to believe he was intentional and detail-oriented. I had no reason to doubt that. But could this be an exception to his well-ordered life? Is this perhaps an oversight that I could use to derail his plan? Or was this a part of his plan? Was I to get and use the phone to influence the next domino to fall in the direction he'd planned?

If I could get to my phone, who would I call? Should I warn Thad of Ducain's plan? Or would that fit into Ducain's plan? Was that what he wanted?

I would most likely call Detective McFadden. But how would calling him fit into Ducain's plan?

My mind buzzed with activity, and my emotions went through the roof.

I can't just sit. I've got to do something.

I noticed the empty plastic bottle given to me earlier, and I asked, "Could I get another bottle of water? I held up the empty bottle bottle.

Without acknowledging my request, he got up and opened the cabinet door. Finding no water, he went into the kitchen. I reached over, grabbed my phone, and slipped it under my leg. When Micky returned with the water, I thanked him. He responded with a monosyllabic "sure" and resumed sitting on his chair.

He pulled his phone from his shirt pocket and continued listening to music videos. When he seemed engrossed in a rap video, I slipped my hand under my leg to my phone. I made sure the volume was off by touch and waited for the opportunity to execute my plan.

Thad had forty minutes. I was beginning to get antsy. A part of me felt as if Ducain was blowing smoke about murdering me, but the other part of me was pretty sure he would if getting even with Thad was his motivation. And I had serious doubts about my brother. I don't remember that his egocentricity was this severe when he was a child, picking on my sister and me. I'd seen a slow deterioration over the years, but I'd attributed it to business stress. I always thought having his own family would've helped balance his personality, but no one seemed good enough for him. As I look back, it may have been the women who ended the relationship because of his flaws.

I heard steps on the stairs. Micky stood and took up his post next to the liquor cabinet by the time Ducain entered the living room.

"Ah, Ms. Stoddard," he said, looking at his watch, "we are about to see which way the domino falls." He sat in his chair and said, "I trust Micky saw to your comfort."

"He did," I said without explaining his presence made me uncomfortable.

"I suspect you have considered all of your alternatives."

"Frankly, yes," I said, feeling under scrutiny.

"I see your phone is missing," he said. "I assume you now have it."

"I do," I said with a sigh. I saw no reason to lie, not with Micky listening to every word.

"Were you able to make a call?" he asked without accusation.

"No, I saw no point," I said.

"Tell me, why didn't you call?" he asked with interest.

"Why? Micky was within reach of my hands. What would be the point?"

"Micky, what were your instructions?" Ducain asked.

"To sit in your chair and let her have the freedom to choose."

"What does that mean?" I said with steel in my voice. "Was I your experiment, Ducain?"

"You might think of it that way," he said. "The fact of the matter is, you'd already done what I wanted. I was leaving your next move up to you."

"I wanted to see my son," I said.

"You blame me for not allowing it?" he asked. He crossed his legs and folded his hands on his lap.

"Yes. I asked Micky if I could see Brant, and he said, 'You can when Ducain says so.' Doesn't that sound as if you're in charge?"

"Ms. Stoddard, would it surprise you if I said Brant, Aunt Bea, and Liam are not in this house?"

"Where...where is my son?" I shouted and jumped to my feet.

"No need to shout, Ms. Stoddard, I'm right here."

"Where...is...my...son?" I enunciated each word slowly.

"I will answer if you do two things for me," he said.

"I've already done the thing you asked," I said sourly.

"Indeed you have," he said, "but you've asked something of me. I thought it only fair."

"What is it you want?"

"A simple question, Ms. Stoddard: if you placed one call, who would you call?"

I sat back down and said, "Detective McFadden."

"Good choice. Why don't you place the call?" He lifted his head and appeared to look down his nose at me.

I pulled out my phone from under my leg, glanced at him to see if he was about to stop me, and not seeing any reaction, I punched in McFadden's number, and it rang. I hadn't taken my eyes off Ducain.

"Mia, where are you?" Stan asked fearfully.

"I'm with Ducain in a rental on the south side of Lake Morgan. He had me call Thad and to say that if he didn't deliver fifty thousand, he'd kill me and, after the second hour, kill Brant."

"Can you tell me the address?"

"Call Ann. She's our coordinator and has the address," I said, still watching Ducain.

"I can't get a hold of her; she's not answering," McFadden said.