yellowjackets|lottie matthews

Some of the Yellowjackets were in the locker room getting ready for the pep rally while Allie was going on and on about prom. I wasn't really listening as my eyes were focused on the girl across from me, Lottie Matthews, she's sweet and unassuming but she only calls people out when it's really necessary. I was snapped out of my gaze when she started speaking.

"Jesus Christ." Lottie says annoyed. She glanced over to me where I faked an annoyed to look as if I was actually listening to the conversation.

Her, Van and Tai continued to talk about Allie while my eyes still gravitated to Lottie.

After a few minutes all three of the girls were walking out of the locker room.

"Hey Lottie. Wait up for a second." I say to get the curly haired girls attention.

She turned to look at me a small smile on her face.

"Um, you like girls right?" I mentally slap my face as the question left my mouth leaving Lottie with a slightly confused face.

"What?" She laughs a bit. "Why?"

"Because I was going to ask you on a date but it would be pretty awkward if you didn't actually like girls." I say trying to keep a confident look.

"Oh, me? On a date?" She questions as if being asked on a date was unfathomable.

"Yeah."

"I-uh. I thought you and Natalie were together." She questioned.

"Um Natalie isn't really a relationship person."

Flashback

"Natalie, I love you." I exclaim as the blonde had her back turned to me.

This was a classic moment after a day together. Arguments happened daily, this one was different though because we could both feel that this was it.

"And I don't feel the same." She yelled back turning to face me. "Why can't you understand that?" The girl was stepping closer to me. Venom was filling her words, which was pretty common but it was worse tonight. There were tears in my eyes as she continued talking. "I will never love you. Okay?"

I just nodded.

"You are so pathetic. I never want to see you again unless it's on field. Got it?" She said an inch away from my face.

I nodded again as I knew the words wouldn't have came out if I tried.

With that Natalie walked away to her trailer as the tears fell from my eyes.

End of flashback

"Just one date and if it absolutely sucks then we can forget it ever happened and you never have to speak to me again." I say. Lottie smiles, little did I know that she was going to say yes anyways.

"Deal." She replies.

"Great. I'll pick you up Friday at 7."

As I walk away I can't help but do a little fist pump at the victory, which Lottie notices and laughs at.

Friday wasn't for 2 days, which meant I sat in silent anxiety for the date that was awaiting. Sharing glances and little moments with Lottie. Sometimes our hands would touch while we were walking or one of us would catch the other staring. It felt like one of those straight couple movies. We hadn't spoken much in the 2 days, both afraid our nerves and awkwardness would get in the way of an actual conversation.

On Thursday, Lottie wore a baby pink sweater with a white skirt which was such a simple outfit but that's the thing when someone as beautiful as Lottie wears something "simple" it doesn't seem as simple anymore. Because of this I decided to break my personal vow of silence, she was simply too pretty to go uncomplimented.

"Hey Lottie." I say as I arrive to her locker before practice. She was already in her uniform which she still looked gorgeous in.

"Hey." She breathlessly replies with that smile. As if she didn't expect me to actually speak to her.

I look around the locker room quickly before speaking.

"You look really beautiful today Lottie." Her cheeks go pink at this and she goes to reply but my mouth runs again. "Not that you don't look beautiful everyday because you do. You definitely do. It's just this outfit is, you know."

"Hey, it's okay. Thank you." Her face is significantly redder but the smile never left her face.

"Come on guys, it's time for practice." Jackie announces at the door.

"See you out there." Lottie says before following Jackie outside.

"God, you are pathetic at flirting."

I jump at hearing a voice behind me, apparently my quick sweep of the room was ineffective. I turn around to be met with Van who had a teasing grin on her face. I panic a bit even though I know that Van would never out us to the team.

"Don't worry I won't say anything." She says still smiling. "Plus you're not the only ones playing for that team." She leaves the room as I stand in shock. Although it's not very shocking that Van likes women, you have to be blind to not notice the stuff going on between her and Tai.