Chapter Twenty-Five

As Sirena woke up, she noticed the warmth that she was cuddling with during the night was now gone. She sat up with a groan and held her hand to her head feeling a slight headache. Her legs slipped off the bed making her feet touch the ground. Looking around her surroundings, the young American woman realized she was in a tent. She also found her clothes sitting at the foot of the cot that she had been sleeping on. The young lady immediately grabbed them and put them on as soon as Dorian came in.

"The handsome commander stayed with you all night." Dorian said causing her to fall on the cot in surprise.

"Really?"

"You also stayed in his tent, where he carried you."

"Say what now?" He shook his head at her question as she finished getting dressed.

"Did your plan succeed?" The Tevinter mage asked curiously.

"Yes, it actually did. A little too well, I think." Sirena confirmed before she heard arguing outside the tent. Dorian held the flap open for her as she took slow steps out into the cold. Finally, a shiver had taken over her.

"They've been at it for a while."

"If they are arguing about what to do next, I want to be there." The American said wanting to help guide the inquisition.

"You should be resting."

"He's right." Sister Giselle said as she snuck up behind the two who were talking privately. "Your heated voice will not help. They watched you defend then fall only to return to back to us."

"I didn't die. I just got badly hurt."

"Of course; and the dead cannot return from across the veil, but the people know what they saw." Giselle was sympathetic to the human girl while ignoring the mage that was beside her. "Or perhaps, what they needed to see. The Maker works both in the moment and how it is remembered. Can we truly know the heavens are not with us?"

"No offence, but I don't believe in such things." The outlander walked away from the mother and looked at the advisors.

Two of them were sitting by the fire while Cullen stood away from the other two peering down at the ground. Out of nowhere, Giselle started singing which caught everyone's attention since they knew the song. The American then missed her MP3 player. It would have made it easier to ignore the religious song that was getting sung. She winced when the mother stood next to her as her face turned beet red from embarrassment. Even Evelyn stood next to her and sung as well. Sirena looked for a way to escape from standing between the two women.

When it was finally over, the outlander ran off to a secluded area where she was able to be alone. Were the people kneeling to her or their herald? She got lost in her thoughts as she stared off into space while humming a song from her time. The American didn't even hear anyone join her, but felt the person sit next to her which caused her to jump. Her eyes glanced over to see the suave Tevinter.

"I wonder when they will come up with a plan; walking around in the snow is making my feet wet."

"All I have to say to that is... Shit happens." He looked over at her and smirked like he had some secret to tell.

"Want to know something interesting?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"I think the oh so handsome commander likes you." Sirena let out a tired sigh and rolled her eyes at Dorian.

"You're not the first to say that."

"And? How do you feel about him?" She pulled her legs closer into her chest and wrapped her arms around them.