Chapter One

Dear Soul; 001

For over three hundred years the Yoo family have served under the protection of an ancient being, The Great Dragon. Story tells how our ancestor was his mate, his true love and in exchange for his love the dragon protected and blessed the family with wealth and good fortune. After a time his mate passed away from human illness and the great dragon fell into a deep sleep. Our family continued their offerings and stayed loyal to the dragon as he slept, and for three centuries he has kept us safe and prospering.

However, every good thing must come to an end and now he has awakened and sought out in hopes to find his lost mate who may possibly have resurrected.

My name is Yoo Minjae and I am the youngest of the Yoo family, a family who owns one of the largest conglomerates in South Korea. Aside from our parents, there is my eldest brother and two older sisters.

And my story begins with our family dinner.

Our father announces that the great dragon has awakened and he is threatening to leave and end our agreement after all these years, I could tell everyone at the table had become upset. For a long time I always wondered why and how a single entity that no one has seen with their own eyes could have so much power that if he chose to leave we would fall from our ranking in society. As I grew it became clear that any luck I had was my own earning, not of a dragon. But with my family they all possessed crazy-good luck, and I began wondering how on earth would one family have that through the centuries by just someone they called the Great Dragon.

Joining us at the table but never sat down to eat was the Shaman of our family, Miss Lee. She declares that the mate of the dragon has been reincarnated and its possible that that was what woke him, he must've sensed his beloved amongst the living and wants to find them.

Its hard to explain but hearing this made me suddenly think of how every day during my childhood and even still to this day whenever I'd visit my parents estate, I'd find myself sitting in front of the tattered and worn painted portrait of the dragon. Sometimes for hours at a time, my mother or the help would find me asleep below the painting. I am always drawn to it like a moth to a single flicker of light. That painting had a lot to do with why I wanted to attend art school but I was made to go to business school like the rest of my siblings. The things we give up, still, that portrait the parts I could see calmed every doubt I had.

My father stops eating and announces that if his mate has possibly been reincarnated into one of us, Miss Lee seconds this, it has to be one of the Yoo daughters. A turning of the food I'd eaten upset my stomach as he looks to Eunjae and says being the eldest she must go to the dragon and convince him that she is his mate.

No way this was happening, Eunjae chokes on her food and blushes and finally comes clean about how she has been in a relationship with someone else. She can't just dump him for this, father says she must do it for the family.

I can't keep out of things I tell ya, I pipe up and say that if they want her to marry so much they shouldn't force her to leave the man she is with. What if she were to leave him, be with the dragon and he learns she is not his mate and is even angrier at the thought of us trying to trick him. Then she will either be harmed or left without anyone. I watched them reassess and soon turned to my other sister Yunjae who simply laughed and said she'd never do it because she prefers women over men. Well I knew she was gay but I guess so did my mother.

Partially I was kind of excited, the thought of being able to finally do something for this family. I've always been the black sheep, always getting into trouble all throughout my school years and having a hell of a time passing the bar to even get into the school all my family have attended. But as I thought about it, there was no way I could be that dragon's mate.